Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is a 2005 Mustang GT. 24000 miles. Drivin every day. I have the Pypes off road H pipe, and the Flowmaster American Thunder axlebacks. Thats it. I was going to do all the misc bolt ons and whatnot but last night I said screw it and I will just buy a supercharger kit and be done with it(for the moment):no

I know these posts come now and again but typing at my desk makes it look like im doing more than just surfing and reading at work.

Facts:
-I want a twinscrew, Whipple or KB, either one is awsome, personally I would want the one that screams the LOUDEST.
-I DO NOT want the engine to be in danger with this all said and done, this is my vehicle of everyday use. Therefore from what ive read, around 8-9 psi, on a conservative note, would add me good power and be a perfectly safe runner(tuned correctly)
-In my area (the quad cities of IA/IL.) I seen a speed shop in cordova, havnt looked into them but plan to if they stand good for a dyno tune. Anyone in that immediate area have input?????
-A friend and I will install the setup package. We are both inclined with basic mechanics so no worries there really.

Please comment on the above information as much as you can. Also for one or the other of the s/c, where are you guys buying your kits and whos most helpful?

·
Registered
5,102 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Currently I have no tune on the car. Will buying a tuner now help down the road after i get a s/c kit? Doesnt the supercharger kit come with a tuner that i can use? Is anyone here running a custom tune from one of our places like brenspeed or bama? or is it a must to go to the dyno? Will i be able to drive my car to the dyno shop once s/c is installed and i load up the supplied tune?

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
the kits usually come with a chip preburnt with a canned tune so you can drive to the dynp.
I prefer the hand held tuner because it is much easier to work with.
a lot of people here are custom tuned by bama/brenspeed/tricktuners here.

·
Premium Member
39,159 Posts
Actually for the S197s the Whipples tend to be louder than the KBs.

Both kits are excellent but the installation of the Whipple is much easier.

·
Registered
174 Posts
personally i would get the whipple ho kit, even though i went with the kb i think alot of the kb system was an after thought around the cold air kit. take for instance the relocation of the ecm, they move it to the front if the engine between the rad and the motor blocking airflow the the engine. also instead of putting the intake on the same as it was stock as to save for some of the ridiculous wire relocation and maf wire lengthening they move it to the passenger side which requires rad support trimming. another thing is the vacuum line birds nest, there are lines all over the place. i know there was more but i can't remember right now. not that the kb isn't a good system i just think that the whipple being designed with ford may be a cleaner install. either way you can't beat the feeling of twin screw blower.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
dont get one or the other based on sound, the new gen whipples i think are more quiet than previous one, could be my exhaust drowning it out. got mine from lethalperf. i know of a few w/ whipple that run the whipple tune and are happy w/ that.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Currently I have no tune on the car. Will buying a tuner now help down the road after i get a s/c kit? Doesnt the supercharger kit come with a tuner that i can use? Is anyone here running a custom tune from one of our places like brenspeed or bama? or is it a must to go to the dyno? Will i be able to drive my car to the dyno shop once s/c is installed and i load up the supplied tune?
If you get the whipple kit. you will get a voucher that you fill out Ford Racing Performance Parts [Welcome] They will send you a pro-cal tuner overnight to install the whipple tune on your car which is a conservative tune. Some people are still running their tune. After that you can take it to a tuner and have them tweak it and get everything within the parameters. Not all cars respond to the same mod.

If you get it from Lethal Performance you can pay an extra $250 (I think) and it will come with an X3 tuner and a tune from VMP. Best bet is to contact who your gonna get the s/c from.

^onederful100 has a VMP tune and he says he likes it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok so i just went ahead and ordered an SCT tuner from Brenspeed. I choose them bc they are like 250 miles from me and i got my exhaust stuff from there as well...Im sure I will enjoy the tunes for a while on my Mustang while im in the process of getting into the s/c realm. And when the times comes I will utilize it to get a custom blower tune as needed. So I have a decent handle on what I want, i will try and contact HCM or LP possible in the next week or so and get some on the phone incite. I am currently leaning towards the whipple HO kit, looks like it'l prolly run around 9-10 psi for about $5800, man i need to hit the lotto or somthin :D

BUT thursday I will install my new h pipe, axlebacks, and tune all at the same time so pics and a possible exhaust vid will prolly be in order.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I went with the whipple because I got a pretty good deal on it and its alittle easier to install then the KB, installing myself. They both make comparable power, the whipple is supposedly alittle louder on the 3Vs. Hell if you're by Brenspeed I would look into getting Saleen twinscrew installed by them. They have some good kits and install is pretty reasonable through them. Brenspeed is pretty sweet. The Saleen blowers are pretty nice systems too.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
I think brenspeed charges around $650 to install a saleen s/c. If you do get the saleen s/c get the Stage 3

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
The Whipple HO kit is hands down the best all around kit for the 05-08 GTs. The Saleen follows closely after, then KB in IMO. KB have more problems than the other two and is the quiestest on the new 3Vs. They were the loudest on the previous new edge mustangs but that is all changed now. Our sale on the Whipple and Saleen ended yesterday, but if you want to order this week, I can make an exception ;). Keep me posted.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
If I lived near Brenspeed I would get a stage 3 Saleen from them and get it installed there. They can upgrade your fuel system and heat exchanger as well while you're there. Alittle extra but worth it IMO.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
^+1116546873416818215486

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes the saleen kit is a possibility too. I started to look over some of those after reading ur comments, gonaa research a lil here and there about the system. i havnt really heard alot about them so never looked into it much.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Saleen s/c make great power. can't beat brenspeeds install price. I would atleast upgrade to a GT500 fuel pump if you do a Saleen kit

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is for [email protected]
You've replied to me earlier but I have some more questions...
1. how good of a sale are you talking about?
2. how long does it take to ship?
3. I heard that the stock pulleys and belts go quick, any comments?
I'm looking to get the whipple HO ploished (10psi) and Cervini's axle back exhaust w/ headers that I've not decided on yet all at the same time to allow for the extra air flow.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts