Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, here is the deal. I have a 433~ whp Mach 1. Here are the rear end specs I am currently running:

4.10 Gears
Rebuilt Diff with carbon lock clutch packs
28 spline diff/axles
aluminum lca's

Now, I've gone to the strip twice. One on my Nitto Invo's (street tires) one time on some Mickey Thompson ET Streets. The 28 spline rear end held up at 4k rpm launches last time at the track but who knows how long it will hold up. They are bias ply tires so they do help.

NOW, here is my dilemma. I'm looking to safely cut 1.5-1.6 60's. I'm looking to get mid 11's and I think it's doable. I was trapping 116-118's at 12.0 with 1.75~ 60's. Launching around 3.5k-4k rpms. Now before you say this may need to go in the drag section here is where the 99-04 section comes into play.

I'm going to be putting a 31 spline rear end in it. I know that's the safest possible way I can do this. I drive it to the track and I drive it home. So I'm looking, like everyone else, to do this the best way I can. Looking at moser or strange 31 splines and a 31 spline lsd from ford racing. I would go torsen but I don't want to blow it up launching it at 5k rpms. Here's the question. I am looking at this rear end from AM that already has the carbon lock clutch plates in it (which are crucial at this point) and it's 259~. Are there cheaper places to pick these up? I realize I can get one from an explorer/ranger but I'll have to rebuild the clutch packs, which is aorund 110~ dollars so i'd be 200~ dollars into it and for 260~ I can get a brand new one. Any suggestions, ideas, or any reason this is way off and I should be looking in a completely different direction?

I've seen a couple diffs without the u clip in them, can you just put the u clip in them?

·
13,574 Posts
here is a option a few dollars cheaper

Ford Racing Traction Lok Differential Steel M 4204 F318C Ford 8 8" 31 Spline | eBay

That's actually a pretty good deal from American Muscle as well, you cant hardly beat a 31 spline carrier with carbon clutches for this price. Only thing you need from here is axles. you can get away with reusing your old bearing for now if money is really tight. I would suggest new carrier bearing just so you do not have to take it out again.

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
here is a option a few dollars cheaper

Ford Racing Traction Lok Differential Steel M 4204 F318C Ford 8 8" 31 Spline | eBay

That's actually a pretty good deal from American Muscle as well, you cant hardly beat a 31 spline carrier with carbon clutches for this price. Only thing you need from here is axles. you can get away with reusing your old bearing for now if money is really tight. I would suggest new carrier bearing just so you do not have to take it out again.
Eh, bearings are only 30 dollars and I'll pick up some new axle bearings as well, while there out, I think those are only around 30 as well. Do I need a new diff cover for a 31 spline setup?

·
13,574 Posts
Well the diff cover Ive always s been up in the air about, but I went ahead and put one on anyhow. You will need to rent a axle bearing puller/slide hammer to get the bearings out of the housing. and don't forget that the ABS ring needs to be switched out, I soaked mine in Penetrating blaster then tapped it with a rubber hammer and they came right off.

---------- Post added at 07:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:04 PM ----------

·
13,574 Posts
I've read you'll need a diff cover for anything over 450 but ssg has 600hp on a stocker iirc with any issues.

I went with a bronco 31 carrier with moser axles
I actually changed mine out, and I never really launched at the track with my 600RWHP tune so im not sure if the stock caover would have made a difference or not. I was on street gas making 525 when I ran 11.5. next time I do go ill be on my 600RWHP tune on Ethanol

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've read you'll need a diff cover for anything over 450 but ssg has 600hp on a stocker iirc with any issues.

I went with a bronco 31 carrier with moser axles
Was the bronco diff shimmed correctly for your gears? I looked into diffs from explorers/rangers/bronco's but didn't know if I'd have to re-shim. If I buy a ford racing diff I know I can throw stock shims on it and count on it fitting.

·
Savage 2v
1,701 Posts
Run a slick. I have personally cut a 1.48 60ft on my stock trans, rear end, axles, and suspension. And multiple 1.5x-1.6x 60's. All on a MT ET Drag 26x8.5. This was done with a 5000RPM MSD 2step, and 7-8psi off the line from the turbo.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts