Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have 28 spline from a 99 cobra. What kind of power can these hold, as well as 01, and 03-04s? I googled and found nothing on how much they could handle, just that mine atlre the weakest, and 01s are 31 spline but weaker than a 03-04. Thanks!

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
I currently have 28 spline from a 99 cobra. What kind of power can these hold, as well as 01, and 03-04s? I googled and found nothing on how much they could handle, just that mine atlre the weakest, and 01s are 31 spline but weaker than a 03-04. Thanks!
There's lots of variables with this, that's the problem. There's no "these shafts break at ___hp."

Some of the things it depends on include torque profile, tire selection, and your bushings.

A pd blower and high RPM launches will break axles faster than a centri or NA build at low RPM launch.

Drag radials are much tougher on the axles/suspension than bias ply slicks.

And of course the big problem, soft stock bushings can cause wheel hop, which can cause axle failure.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the upgraded bushings, diff brace, and solid mount for it. The car should never see drag radials, the car will be more of a autocross and daily driver, plan is to turbo, but I want to make sure everything can handle ~450 first,car. Will most likely be in the 400 rwhp range till bottm end is built

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
If your sticking to autocross and a DD then you should be fine. I wouldnt worry about it. I have hammered plenty of termis on the street sliding and what not. You will be good. Unless your have Hoosiers....

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the weak 28 splines though.. I'm trying to turbo my car this summer (maybe) but I wanna make sure these halfshafts will hold around 450

1 - 5 of 5 Posts