Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup guys.
Going to need a new rack and pinion and I'm going to go ahead and get new struts, rear shocks, bushings and I have been thinking about a beefier front sway bar..
Now the new mustangs have 34+mm front sway bars.

Eibach sells a 36mm front sway bar for our stangs. Is there really such a need for such a thick sway bar? Will this dramatically improve understeer? Would a 29mm or 30mm solid steel sway bar be just as good? (the 36mm is hollow)

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That doesn't answer my question..

I'm also getting new rear control arms to help the body roll. Maybe a slightly beefier rear sway bar if I'm unsatisfied with the control arms alone.
My front suspension is still very firm so I'm not really in a rush for a suspension upgrade (except for the rear shocks..they are DONE).

Also, what are signs of a dieing power steering pump? Whenever I turn my wheel sharply at a standstill or low speed my idle drops almost making the car die..

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Rear control arms have nothing to do with body roll...

If your fluid levels in the pump are good and you here it making a whining noise that is usually a good indication. You may also feel hard spots in the steering once in a while. A leak in the pump could also indicate a problem.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rear control arms have nothing to do with body roll...

If your fluid levels in the pump are good and you here it making a whining noise that is usually a good indication. You may also feel hard spots in the steering once in a while. A leak in the pump could also indicate a problem.
Really? I was told that they help prevent body roll..

Well it has always made a whining noise. (aka the annoying whine that mustang steering pumps are known for..) Replaced the fluid not to long ago. The steering is a bit hard but I owe that to my rack and pinion needing replaced. If it still exists when I get a new rack and pinion, I will look into a new power steering pump.

·
Registered
816 Posts
^ dont waste your time with that, i have replaced my pump at least 3 times, it has a brand new rack and pinion on it and new hoses, flushed and filled with dextron 5 fluid (what the manual calls for) and it still makes noise, i have no idea what it is, and i just gave up on it after a while

·
Registered
474 Posts
If you need a new rack n pinion,then ur PS is going to whine because its not pushing the fluid completely through.WHy would u need a new one anyways?How did u come to the conclusion that it is the rack and pinion?

·
Registered
474 Posts
As far as bigger sway bars go,no i wouldnt get one.I had some as my first mod and they were back out in 2 weeks I felt a LITTLE difference but almost next to nothing I did get the KYB 5 way adj fronts and 8 way adj backs and I fet a big difference lol..If ur looking to take body roll away I hear Subframe connectors are extrememly good and they help with handleing alot because it makes the body more solid.Upper and lower control arms dont move,they only go up and down so they dont help with body roll,only for launching and catching better traction/stability in the rearend

·
Registered
342 Posts
+1 on the subframe connectors.. and the control arms will help eliminate wheel hop, not body roll

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you need a new rack n pinion,then ur PS is going to whine because its not pushing the fluid completely through.WHy would u need a new one anyways?How did u come to the conclusion that it is the rack and pinion?
My rack and pinion is leaking pretty badly on one side. The bottom of my car gets covered with P/S fluid between oil changes. The steering is also very heavy and not very accurate. There is also lots of play in the steering wheel.
(btw, its called a S P A C E B A R :rolleyes:)

Thanks for all the info guys. I've been looking into subframe connectors for a while anyway due to the fact that my car is a convertible.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Im trying to help you since you cant use the search botton to find out about sway bars and what they do...If its leaking,its most likely the line(s) that goes into the rack (Im having the same problem also and refillin my PS pump) there should be an O ring around it,Im not sure about this but you could prob replace that ring. I just havent gotten to it yet and if you pump is feeling stiff and your rack is leaking,your pump will get backed up and it will cause it to fail.

BTW if your looking to get all those parts for handleing,I would just get the package deal where it comes with everything instead of buying it all at different times..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts