Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
76,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to see everyones style for taping...

This is what I did:

I taped up everything...But I think I went overkill...What do you tape?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I do the same as you zinc!

Do you guys suggest i tape all the door sills and all the cracks between body panels? because at the end of each detail i always have to scrap out wax/polish with credit card...kind of a pain so just wondering what you guys do!

and chris :p def. overkill with the headlights/taillights! but it looks professional!

·
Admanistrator
13,320 Posts
Why is taping needed for polishing? Bad to get it on the plastic?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
yeah some of the polishes/waxs/sealants tend to turn the black trim white in sections!

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
if your using a product that dust alot then tape will stop it from getting in the seams and making a mess. another plus with the MF system..I havnt had ANY dust yet:D

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
It keeps polishes off of trim which can stain it. Plus your buffer can burn the trim, DA or rotary doesn't matter. Depending on the angle of how steep of a curve something is, I'll tape the adjacent side so the pad can't rub by any chance. You'll notice in my pic I've got a strip running alongside the spoiler.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
It keeps polishes off of trim which can stain it. Plus your buffer can burn the trim, DA or rotary doesn't matter. Depending on the angle of how steep of a curve something is, I'll tape the adjacent side so the pad can't rub by any chance. You'll notice in my pic I've got a strip running alongside the spoiler.
I had to tape up the 2011 5.0 CS exactly like that as well. I just used the 3M automotive masking tape instead of the blue painter but I highly doubt there is a big difference between the blue and the green 3m tape. :)

·
Administrator
76,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea well I will be doing some taping soon...Might take on the correction of the jeep...

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
I had to tape up the 2011 5.0 CS exactly like that as well. I just used the 3M automotive masking tape instead of the blue painter but I highly doubt there is a big difference between the blue and the green 3m tape. :)
I personally like the green. It seems eaiser to work with and has better adhesion.

I do about the same as zinc. Mainly tape around the edges of everything.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Yea well I will be doing some taping soon...Might take on the correction of the jeep...
Didn't you just do a full detail on your wife's jeep?! from the pictures i saw it looks aaammmaazzziinngggg!

the leather looks beautiful, i'm gonna have to go back and see what you used!

·
Administrator
76,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Didn't you just do a full detail on your wife's jeep?! from the pictures i saw it looks aaammmaazzziinngggg!

the leather looks beautiful, i'm gonna have to go back and see what you used!
Yea I did but I didnt do any correction at all so tons of swirls and such...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts