Modded Mustang Forums banner

Let's Talk Twin Turbos

2K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  king_Ahmet 
#1 ·
The next big step for my car is going to take place in just a couple months now and I am debating my options. I want to see what feedback yall have in regards to a few different ideas I'm currently circulating. The car is going back to Texas and will finally be tuned with 93 octane again. The guaranteed performance changes that will happen no matter which option I go with are the new tune and the install of the Meziere w/p..

Option 1: Simply retune with the 93 octane and add electric w/p. Should hopefully yield around 500-515rwhp for the time being. Continue to save money for engine build so I can finally turn the boost up on the blower (should take about 6-12 months)

Option 2: Retune with 93 octane and add w/p for same results as above for the time being. Save for about 6-12 months and buy twin 67mm turbos and sell the blower. Run the twins on the stock block at low boost for about 12 months until I have enough for a motor build, then crank up the turbos.

The reason I am considering turbos now is for their unmatched efficiency at higher boost levels (which this car will definitely see) and their amazing torque. Ultimately, I would love for this car to sit around 650rwhp with similar torque and I feel that twin 67's could make that happen more efficiently than my blower could.

A negative for the turbo route would be that it would take a year longer before I could build my motor. I figure I could get 3-4k for the ported Saleen blower which would help offset some of the costs of the turbos.

Feel free to throw any feedback my way. I would love recommendations on turbo kits, other necessary parts, etc. Trying to get an idea of costs for everything that would be needed. Thanks guys!!

See less See more
#2 ·
If you have the means to go TT and a built engine, I say go for it! :D Although, after looking at Marc's beast of a build, I think you'd be able to get your 650rwhp goal with the blower you have if you went option A. Sounding like a jet taking off from those twins would be fun, though... :yes

#8 ·
I do have a Saleen blower and it's ported as well. It will be making over 500rwhp at around 7psi which is quite efficient. I know this blower will have no problem making the power I want but I am trying to decide if twin turbos would be the better option. Obviously the biggest drawback is the cost of the turbo setup and I also have to find out if there are any local tuners who know turbos well enough for me to trust them.

I now realize the twin 67's would be overkill after checking out a few kits after my initial post. Looks like 57's would be the way to go. ForensicSteve, this car is mostly a street toy that will make random visits to the track whenever possible. It will never be set up primarily for the track as it will see normal street driving 95% of the time.

Anyone have recommendations for kits? Any idea on pricing? Parts? Etc? Thanks for the feedback

#4 ·
twin 67mm turbos
Way overkill. My car has a single 76 and looking for low 9s with new build. Bigger and twins are not necessarily better with turbos. The 76 got the car consistent 10.0s at 134-136 mph, with last build. I don't pay any attention to hp numbers, so cannot tell you what the rwhp was. I suppose you could plug in the ET or trap and 3850 lbs with driver, into one of those rwhp calcultors to give some idea.

What are the goals for the car, other than to get 650 rwhp? If you intend on actually applying that 650 to a dragstrip, you are going to have to build-up a lot more than just the motor.

#5 ·
I agree with forensicsteve you wont be even close to the potential of those twins until you're gunning for some massive HP (1000+). A blower should easily hit 650 rwhp and if it doesn't you have a shitty blower. Also a blower should give you more low end torque... that being said if you wanted to hit a lot of HP at the higher end those twins will do that with power to spare.

#9 ·
I would get the built engine first and see how far you can push the blower before looking at different power options.

#11 ·
Thats another option as well...see what the blower does with the built motor and if I am not satisfied, then switch to twins...

twins are sweet for sure but a single will be cheaper man...there are 76mm in the 8's
No doubt I could easily obtain the power results I want with a single turbo. However, if I am going to go through the trouble of switching out my blower for something else then I am definitely going twins no matter what :yes

#15 ·
I know you said no to this Mickey but this is route I would take...A large single IMHO is 2 fold better then twins IMHO...Twins for the most part at just for bragging rights...

#12 ·
I say build the motor and see where you stand. If you are not happy at that point then sell the blower and go twins with an already built motor.

Always build from the ground up!

#18 ·
no need for ball bearing IMHO...Precision does make waterless ball bearing now. A JB billet wheel is plenty. I have the Pricision 6768 CEA(billet) t4 with a .96AR...935hp rated. 67mm is a great startinig point turbo. A 71mm is very nice too. I try and make 750rwhp with a 67mm on a 2v.

#19 ·
655RWHP 582RWTQ with a single 67mm Billet Ball bearing Precision. 76 is way over kill... Lightblade is doing it at 16 PSI
My car started with a 67mm. I then upgraded to a 76mm. Car was still street driven at that time, and I noticed a definite lag going from 67 to 76. Lag has been eliminated for dragracing application.

#21 ·
I would rather have my ported twin-screw over a single turbo...but I would rather have twin turbos over a ported twin-screw..

I really want to see what this blower will make power-wise when cranked up...**** 500+rwhp with less than 7psi is a solid start....who knows what kind of power the car will make with 20 more cubes at 14psi :D I think it will see mid 600's without issue

#23 ·
a guy with my exact turbo just BB(mine isn't) with just a forged shortblock with near stock CR made 499rwhp and 5xx rwtq at 13.7psi on a 2V motor. Imagin that on a 3v engine...quick spool and TONS of torque without the wieght/more piping for cracks/leaks. I would be a lot faster...

#26 ·
dont worry about doing a stroker go .20 over and turbo that bitch lol....single or twin it just depends on how much you want to spend...do a single billet wheel 67-70mm and makee 700 on pump gas and your tq be in the 600s..that twin screw will not do that..on a built motor it will put you in the 650 range but your tq will still be in the 500s..you will have the jet engine sound of the turbo spooling along with the throw your ass in your seat tq :)

#27 ·
I am a follower if the K.I.S.S. method. I would rather have a single turbo on a street car.
1. Less money.
2. Less **** to break.
3. WAY easier install.
4. Way easier maintenance when something breaks, which it will...

Ever had to take apart a TT kit to change a accessory (Power steering, alt., etc.) ? **** that noise... If you do twins, there is really no need to go bigger than 57 or at the max 62mm... Otherwise your going to be leaving some spool time on the table and I am pretty sure you don't want to run a automatic do you Mickey?

#29 ·
Both. Blow-through setup. Mwahaaahaaaa

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.