Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright well I put my new wheels on, 18x9.5 275s all 4 corners, the car seems to take turns a lot better then when I had stock in the front with 315s in rear, I wasn't crazy about how the front looks wider than the rear though (fender gap) so I put a set of I believe 5/16th spacers on, looked better but when I went for s test ride it didn't seem to corner like it did with out them. Is this just me or does anyone agree?

Little about the car, eibach pro springs, IRS, tokico shocks all the way around, nitto tires before and after.

Sent from my EVO using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I'm not a fan of spacers. If you're going to use them, get some very high quality ones and you won't sacrifice performance, but they'll set you back a few hundred.

·
Super Moderator
13,580 Posts
My knowledge of suspension is growing, but Im no expert. I can tell you that for some reason all the cars I have drove with staggered wheels " Wider rear wheels" seem to handle much better. My lexus has staggered wheels and I was able to out run a Z-06 in the Twisties and he had a high dollar moddified suspension. My Convertible handles much better since I have staggered wheels as well it sticks pretty well in the Corners.

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
Your handling will "technically" improve with a set of spacers, so your mindza makin' tricks on ya, playa :yes

WIth that said, I think it a bad idea to install such a spacer. you have lost 5/16" of thread engagement and not a whole lot up front from the start. I recommend you remove them or install a set of studs that will give you additional threads in which to secure the wheel. Did you notice the change in handling only after the spacers or after 315's were installed?

Jazzer :)

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took them off already, and yes, before the car had a slight push threw certain turns, now it seems to plant, and hug the turn

·
Registered
594 Posts
I had an interesting conversation with the guys at Maximum Motorsports when selecting my rear sway bar size. They suggested running the same size tire on all four corners so the car would rotate through the corner. With a staggered setup the rear tires will always have more grip than the front causing the car to understeer. I'm going to run staggered on the street and non-staggered when I get my autocross tires.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Yes, push = understeer. You turn the steering wheel and the car goes straight. You yell and still the car goes straight, you hit the brakes and the car still goes straight. You tag the cone and the car finally turns.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lol, when I last raced my dirt car, it pushed, but instead of tagging s cone, I tagged a concete wall.... Bent shock, cracked rotor, bust brake line, and shered the heim end off the lower control arm, fixed it really quick though. I ended up not putting enough pedal in the inital part of the turn cause these cars pretty much steer with the rear

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Lol, when I last raced my dirt car, it pushed, but instead of tagging s cone, I tagged a concete wall.... Bent shock, cracked rotor, bust brake line, and shered the heim end off the lower control arm, fixed it really quick though. I ended up not putting enough pedal in the inital part of the turn cause these cars pretty much steer with the rear
I'm no pro at racing, but I'd say you might want to stay away from those concrete walls.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh I know, but it was my second time in that car. They don't drive or shift like regular cars... They like to carry the left front tire. And the left rear feels like your sitting on it.

Sonic- summit point in spring time?

I gotta fix few things and ill be ready. Car should handle amazing

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How far is it for you?

Bad thing for me is, I'm auto:/ but come spring time, if everything goes well, I should have 16 more valves under the hood ( very small chance though)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts