Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, its going to be another six months or so before I can afford to put a forged shortblock in this thing. I am at the point where I cannot add more power before this purchase so the only way to make it quicker without increasing my chances of blowing the motor, is to replace parts with lighter, better parts, and replace inefficient parts with more efficient parts. My first idea was to lighten the front of the car up since I now have a giant ****ing air compressor on my motor. With that, I was looking at this package:

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/05Mustang/FEP001.jpg

Here is Description:
FEP001 Includes Tubular K-member(KM010) and non-adjustable A-arms(AA010) - Save $70!

The price is $829 from BMR (Rich, help a brother out). How much weight does this shave off the front end? Is it worth this money? Does it affect the handling a lot or a little? Is the ride a lot more harsh? (not that I really care about ride quality, its a fun toy)

What else do yall have in mind to help lighten the car up or replacing parts with better parts?

EDIT: Rich, I will be calling you in the next few weeks now for the Spydershaft (that will take out some rotational mass)

·
Registered
13,628 Posts
I don't know what the actual weight savings is but I think it is pretty significant. Handleing should be improved because I think it is a stiffer piece, but I'm not sure on that but it makes sense. It will help in the handling in that you can adjust the A-arms to the correct mounting points to compensate for you sportline drop. It will help bring the suspension geometry back in line.

Another piece you might want to look at is the Steeda radiator support. I think it is the only piece that will allow you the use of the front sway bar.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
The weight savings from the BMR K-member/A-arms is around 30lbs. That's close to 1% less weight in the front end. I think you should also look into a tubular radiator support and maybe a battery relocation or lightweight battery. If you want to keep the front swaybar, I suggest you buy Steeda's tubular radiator support, since it retains it.

·
Registered
623 Posts
You could look into some lightweight wheels too. My new welds are only 14 pounds ea. vs. 26 pounds ea. for the factory bullits. The skinnies are only like 11 pounds ea. for the front.
I'm considering a K-member too but I'm concerned with the NVH using the required motor mounts.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know what the actual weight savings is but I think it is pretty significant. Handleing should be improved because I think it is a stiffer piece, but I'm not sure on that but it makes sense. It will help in the handling in that you can adjust the A-arms to the correct mounting points to compensate for you sportline drop. It will help bring the suspension geometry back in line.

Another piece you might want to look at is the Steeda radiator support. I think it is the only piece that will allow you the use of the front sway bar.
The a-arms in the package are non adjustable. I added the weight savings BMR lists for the k-member and the a-arms togather and it looks like a 31.2 lb savings off the front end. Is that real significant of a loss?

On second thought, do I need adjustable a-arms? they arent as light as the non adjustable, but its only 2 lbs..thats just a fat dump away

I totally forgot about that Steeda piece...ill look into it, thanks.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You could look into some lightweight wheels too. My new welds are only 14 pounds ea. vs. 26 pounds ea. for the factory bullits. The skinnies are only like 11 pounds ea. for the front.
I'm considering a K-member too but I'm concerned with the NVH using the required motor mounts.
I just bought lighter wheels...My old 20's were 40 lbs in the front and 42 lbs in the rear...now they are 30lbs in the front and 31 in the rears...thats a significant drop for the exact same size wheels..

·
Registered
623 Posts
That's a nice drop in weight on the wheels. I recently put a Steeda rad support on and took off the swaybar, links and hardware and all I can say is, "Wow". The front end comes up nicely and the car really hooks. A big :yes for the Steeda piece.

Reactions: Mickey

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Mickey, search for a thread started by Emay on those parts. He had a lot of good things to say about them. Can't remember if he mentioned the weight savings or not.

Keep in mind you're replacing the bushings on the front control arms... because you're replacing the front control arms... so depending on how many miles you currently have on the-car-formerly-known-as-Barricade, I'd imagine handling will be brought back to like-new status from the mod. That's never really a bad thing.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Weight loss and weight transfer are major parts of our rebuild. It's like free horsepower.

Think we will have shed about 300 lbs by race day. Battery was relocated to trunk a while back, deleted a/c and sound system. Car being extensively rewired, including wiring harnesses from nose of car being moved into cabin area. Pic of interior right now.....ooooohhh perdy.

·
Registered
13,628 Posts
The a-arms in the package are non adjustable. I added the weight savings BMR lists for the k-member and the a-arms togather and it looks like a 31.2 lb savings off the front end. Is that real significant of a loss?

On second thought, do I need adjustable a-arms? they arent as light as the non adjustable, but its only 2 lbs..thats just a fat dump away

I totally forgot about that Steeda piece...ill look into it, thanks.

I wasn't talking about the adjustable A-arms. I believe the K-member has different mounting points for the A-arms. I remember reading that in EMAY's post.

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/2005/119885-k-member-tubular-arms-2.html#post2004739

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
****, I'd buy the k-member again in a heart beat solely for the ease with which you can work from under the car after it's in. I honestly had no idea how much girth the stocker had.

Weight, significantly different. You'll know you made a good choice the minute you pull down the old one with a buddy - throw it to the side and then pick up the new one realizing you can send your buddy home, cause you won't need his help to install it.

31 lbs is significant, especially if you go deeper with all of the nickel and dime weight saving. generally 100lbs = 1/10th off the et.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am ready for this next set of mods...k-member, a-arms, and spydershaft...drops 53lbs total, 22lbs of rotational mass. That should wake this thing up somewhat...

SIDE NOTE: some guy with an 09 vette (LS3) was talking **** to me at a gas station saying, "Hey, I havent had lunch today, wanna run em?" I asked what he had in the thing and he gave me a ****-eating grin and said 500 hp at the motor. I told him I was down...(I also had a passenger in the car, he didnt)

Lets just say c6 tastes good for lunch :D Ill post a few iphone vids soon

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Ferrari's for breakfast
Corvette's for lunch
Porsches for dinner
Vipers for desert

Saleen I love that T-Shirt

·
Registered
745 Posts
subscribing

Good info in this thread. Future sticky "dropping weight in a s197".

·
Registered
623 Posts
I am ready for this next set of mods...k-member, a-arms, and spydershaft...drops 53lbs total, 22lbs of rotational mass. That should wake this thing up somewhat...

SIDE NOTE: some guy with an 09 vette (LS3) was talking **** to me at a gas station saying, "Hey, I havent had lunch today, wanna run em?" I asked what he had in the thing and he gave me a ****-eating grin and said 500 hp at the motor. I told him I was down...(I also had a passenger in the car, he didnt)

Lets just say c6 tastes good for lunch :D Ill post a few iphone vids soon
I'll bet Mr. C6 thinks twice about what he has for lunch next time. Way ta go ****.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts