Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does any one know or has any one heard of any reliability issues with the lincoln mark 8 blocks.... (you know the aluminum one).
i wanted to know if they are capable of handling boost.... nothing reldiculous but, you know what its like in the quest for hp lol.

the only reason why i question its integrity is because its production was stopped and it was never used again, especially in cars that would seem to really benifit from a light weight aluminum motor (like the cobras)

just wondering because i iknow where a cheap one is if you catch my drift :D

·
MM's Mad Scientist
5,102 Posts
does any one know or has any one heard of any reliability issues with the lincoln mark 8 blocks.... (you know the aluminum one).
i wanted to know if they are capable of handling boost.... nothing reldiculous but, you know what its like in the quest for hp lol.

the only reason why i question its integrity is because its production was stopped and it was never used again, especially in cars that would seem to really benifit from a light weight aluminum motor (like the cobras)

just wondering because i iknow where a cheap one is if you catch my drift :D
You mean like the 03 Cobras?

Those blocks are good up to and over 1000. One in the shop right now making 944 to the wheel.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah well what im getting at is why wernt the cobras equipped with an aluminum block unless ford didnt think that they could hold up to the boost.....

its the 70lbs worth of weight savings off of the nose that has attracted my attention but i dont want to build a motor thats gonna punch holes in its self lol

·
MM's Mad Scientist
5,102 Posts
I was just poking at you. They used aluminum blocks in the earlier mod motored Cobras, but the 03/04's had cast iron blocks. SVT just overkilled the shortblock in those cars- they are good for 800 all day.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ah ha! so the aluminum blocks are fairly sturdy then?

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
ah ha! so the aluminum blocks are fairly sturdy then?
their very sturdy enough for guy's like our's needs. the reason Ford dropped them, in my understanding anyway, is very long term (ie. 100,000-200,000 mi.)reliabilty issuses. plenty of people making big power with those block's.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
welll i sermise that if one were to take relativly good care and maintain the care properly there shouldnt be an issue..... by the time 200,000 miles roll around im gonna probally be tryin to build a whole new idea of a project motor lmao

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
welll i sermise that if one were to take relativly good care and maintain the care properly there shouldnt be an issue..... by the time 200,000 miles roll around im gonna probally be tryin to build a whole new idea of a project motor lmao
my point exactly. for guy's who take care building their motor, there's nothing at all wrong with this block, you'll be fine & save some weight.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
congradulations yall have sold me on trying to put one of em together now lol....

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
Mark 8 block is the Teskid block that you hear so much about. The only negative to go with the Lincoln is that it doesn't have the forged crank that was stock in the Cobras.

Near as I can tell, 32v motors only got forged cranks if they were put in front of a manual transmission. Auto Mach 1s are cast crank, Mark 8s are cast crank, anyone know about the Marauders, Aviators, and Navigators?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
eh it doesnt matter if it is or isnt a cast crank, im gonna run all forged internals if i do this anyways..... if im not mistaken i think all the triton motors come with a forged crank as a standard

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hey bitemark in that pic is that bradenton that your at?

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
eh it doesnt matter if it is or isnt a cast crank, im gonna run all forged internals if i do this anyways..... if im not mistaken i think all the triton motors come with a forged crank as a standard
Triton motors are the truck versions of the modulars. Only thing different I'm aware of between a "triton" 4.6 and the Mustang 4.6 is the name. Maybe the cams are different, too?

The only 4.6s I'm aware of with forged cranks from the factory are the 32v motors from the Cobras and manual transmission Mach 1s.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
.... it was killin me to remember where i heard it from and i just remembered. the info came off of the sullivanperformance website.... all in all the faq is pretty informative but that doesnt mean its all absolutly right, so maybe they are just standard cranks

in any case you can find cobra internals all up and down craigslist

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i should maybe start a new thread but if i were to build this motor i want to build it to turn up to 7k rpm... what kind of manifold would you suggest? i looked at the bullitt intake which sure looks pretty but then i thought about how the bullitt mustangs only make 5 more hp then my car in stock trim......

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
i should maybe start a new thread but if i were to build this motor i want to build it to turn up to 7k rpm... what kind of manifold would you suggest? i looked at the bullitt intake which sure looks pretty but then i thought about how the bullitt mustangs only make 5 more hp then my car in stock trim......
I'm assuming you're running 2v heads?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
oh ill find one dont worry about that lol... and yeah i plan to run a 2v head set up... i was reading the bullitt intakes were pretty good for up to 7k

1 - 20 of 26 Posts