Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, need some good input please!!!

I was going to do a PI swap, and my bottom end has high mileage but is allright. That being said....I Came across a low mileage Lincoln MK VIII engine locally at a great price, under a grand. I've read this is basically an easy swap and can be plugged right in, which I'm sceptical of.

Anyone know what it takes? I realize the Cobra intake is better than the Lincoln, but I can change that later.

Is this feasible?? I'd end up with basically a low mileage Cobra engine this way for not much money.

Thanks!

·
Registered
915 Posts
Its the same thing as a cobra swap dude. Change out the PCM wiring harness and all that good stuff. And also to have a cobra engine you have to change the cams and the intake in the Mark motor. Just my .02

·
Proud American
11,288 Posts
Its very feasable. Same rods, same pistons, same heads as the cobra. THe cranks are different, and the Mark VIII crank wont hold much power at all. Just some food for thought.

If its complete and running, I would say 800 would be what I would pay. It has a Teskid block with is a great alumunum block.

54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I've read about this and aside from all of the debate surrounding which 4V is the best choice I really just want to know exactly what it takes to get it in the car and running. The motor has 30k on it and unless I'm missing something this won't cost any more than just the PI swap I'm about to start. I can buy the engine, complete with all accesories from intake to oil pan. That's a lot of near new parts compared to a pair of heads mounted to my 160k mi block and parts.

·
Registered
187 Posts
i still say do the pi heads stage 2(or 3) and buy a short block. more power. fully built. no worries on breaking and your not starting from square one. almost guarenteed 325 horse to the wheels with bolt full bolt ons. then from there you have a choice of turbo,blown or nitrous. pick your cam to suit and giver.

im going with na cams for the moment. just picked up a set of termi pistons from my engine builder. he polished em up and **** so there looking good. if i go supercharged were thinking of forging the npi lower end with no stroking or boring. adding the cobra pistons to lower the high compression from the na cams and running about 10psi should be a very lethal combo.:D:D:D

54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sure there are many better choices for overall power building, but I could do this for the cost of a basic PI swap, which is all I've got the budget for. From that standpoint what do you think?

WHAT IS NEEDED TO MAKE IT WORK?

54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Funny stuff....

I figured the ECU and wiring would be essential too Matt. But I read a post on Mustangforums from a guy who's done it and he said he didn't need to do that, just plug and play. But I can't imagine that the mustang harness would be an exact match. Either way, the seller of the engine will through in the ECU and complete engine harness for free. So, having those parts do you guys think it would be difficult? Other than that (and I have no real idea of whether or not swapping the ECU would be hard) will it just drop in and bolt up, bellhousing, etc, etc? I'm really thinking about doing this, but I need to know what it takes. After I had it in the car could I just swap a Cobra intake? I know the internals aren't the same, but from a stock power output standpoint it should make similay HP with that intake, right?

54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks all! Please keep the advice coming. I think I'm gonna try it, but still need to know exactly what's needed to make it work. A couple guys mentioned needing to change flywheels, which one? Also that the stock computer will work as long as a IIMRC delete plate is used? Don't know what that means.

Lemme know!!!

·
Registered
191 Posts
it takes more than you think... i just put the mach 1 motor in my 96 and i needed new fuel lines, fuel rails, new A- arms, new motor mounts, and alot of other stuff... if you are going cheap, just do the pi engine swap, but if you got some money do the 4v engine swap...

54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The new engine comes with the fuel rails. No one else has said anything about A-Arms or motor mounts. Are these necessary? I thought the block was the same (externally).

Anyone else have an opinion on that?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts