Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so '93 4cyl, Red, Mustang, Auto, paint has not been touched in God knows how many years. When it had clear coat left on it, I did wax it - once the clear was gone I decided to stop the waxing because it was pulling up too much paint. The plastic bumpers are slowly turning pink... Long story short, the whole dang thing needs to be repainted - but thats gonna have to wait til next tax season haha. So while the body has to wait, I do want to touch up all of the pieces I can do myself. Here's my list:

*Bottom window sill/ledge
*Antenna
*Back of mirror casings
*Possibly the interior window knobs (manual windows)
*Outside door handles

I have come up with a list of supplies I think I'll need, so if somebody could just go over it and make sure I'm not forgetting anything that would be awesome!

*Blue tape (is the Scotch brand ok or is there a specific Automotive one?)
*Paper (just to cover a wider area incase of spray paint overspray)
*Flat black paint (extremely open to suggestions here - I don't mind paying $10 a can as long as it's going to look awesome in the end)
*Metal toothed brush to scrub off old paint (not that there is much left)
*Scotch grey pad/Fine grit sandpaper?

Do I need a primer? Everything that is getting painted is just going from faded black to new flat black. Along that line, do I need to clear coat after?

If I forgot anything or if you can make any brand suggestions that would be awesome!

Thanks!
_________

·
It'll buff out...
5,379 Posts
Pictures would help immensely. Take some of the parts you want touched up and of the paint itself, that way we can better assist you in products you may or may not need. :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

This is just the fading/flaking off of the paint on the mirror, windshield wiper/windshield "frame" and the door handle.

So my big concern here is the dent and the little bit of rust that is right along the gas cap door line. There really isn't any other rust on the body of the car (none that I can find), the underside might be a different story haha. Somebody told me that I should be able to pop the dent out with a hair dryer and an upside down can of compressed air, would that work on the plastic part?

This will probably have to be taken care of by the paint shop (whenever that happens) but this is the spot on the back that I was referring to before.

---------- Post added at 09:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 AM ----------

Going to add:
*paint trim around sunroof while I have it off....

Didn't realize until I took some pics for my other thread, just how faded it was haha.
You can see that here: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/2-3-mustangs/294701-sunroof-questions.html

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know there isn't any clear, in my OP I said that. I know the whole body needs to be re-done but people asked for pictures so I posted them.
I plan on stripping down the parts I'm re-painting. So I asked for help with a list of materials, there is no way I can do the whole car myself, so the list is just for the minor parts.

·
Wlcm 2 costco, I Love You
124 Posts
You can get a new antenna at wal-mart for about 10-15 dollars (mine is about 10 inches long and is made of softish rubber), I think it was the first thing I bought for my car since I hated hearing dong dong dong dong at every stupid stoplight. I could actually hear my radio fade in and out with every dong.

imo the smaller antennae makes the car look a lot better with no RC car 3 foot long antenna. I doubt anyone else will notice the difference but you'll appreciate it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My antenna doesn't make any noise lol I'm afraid to chop it or get a smaller one for fear of losing radio signal.

---------- Post added at 11:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 PM ----------

Any suggestions on paint brands? Also, is my list of supplies missing anything?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anybody? Brand suggestions for the paint? Is my supply list complete? I want to try and get this done this coming weekend. I am off (for once) so I'll have the time to devote to doing it the right way haha

·
Potato
1,159 Posts
Why don't you just the whole spoiler off and paint it black. Save yourself 200$. The mirror covers are tough to paint with spray paint with our getting runs. Sand it down a bit, and spray away. Try plasti dip if you want to go that route.

Painters tape is all the same to me, I use frog tape from Home Depot that I think works better for me. That dent can not be fixed with dryer and cold technique, it is too bad. I thought you meant door ding lol.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've considered painting it black but I'm not sure it would look right haha. I do have smaller dings that I can probably fix like that - is there a "size limit" to dents being fixed that way?

·
Obsessed Detailer
8,609 Posts
The hair drier and compressed air thing has been proven to either not work at all or very rarely. Maybe on slight bends in panels but DENTS are hard to remove lol.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have 2 little "dings" in the hood and what looks like a punch mark in the one panel near the 1/4 window that aren't too deep, maybe I'll try that method there lol.
Any suggestions on paint brands?
Is my list of supplies complete?

---------- Post added at 06:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 PM ----------

Sunroof and door seals came today! Also went and picked out my headliner fabric! Just need some spray adhesive and a few days of awesome weather lol.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What is plasti-dip? I'm on the site, is it like a spray on plastic?

---------- Post added at 08:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 PM ----------

It looks kind of awesome - price isn't bad either. What are the benefits? Does it not run as much and hold up better?

·
Insomniac
5,912 Posts
What is plasti-dip? I'm on the site, is it like a spray on plastic?

---------- Post added at 08:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 PM ----------

It looks kind of awesome - price isn't bad either. What are the benefits? Does it not run as much and hold up better?
It gives a flat/satin appearance, very durable, easy to apply and maintain. I have a few friends who have fully "dipped" their vehicles and its looks decent, I did my stock wheels and rear black out panel and was very happy with the results

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmmm.... I think this is what I'll go with...

---------- Post added at 09:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 PM ----------

How many cans should I need to do all of my trim stuff? I'm thinking 3ish?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ooh... Completely covering the 4 wheels? Cuz that's kinda awesome lol - Maybe I'll just get 2 cans, should cover everything I want to touch up. Do I have to metal brush everything down or sand it before dipping? I'm ordering the pre-dip spray - going to just use Frog tape from Home Depot.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts