Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So amongst other problems (i might need to change my sig.),,,,,, I got my windows tinted yesterday, and they look good. However, now with my windows rolled up for a week, I've noticed a sound from the trans./clutch when the clutch is out, but I'm in neutral.

It's like a very lite 'whine' sound - foot is off the clutch, and I'm in neutral/no gear.

When I put the clutch in, the sound completely goes away.

It's very faint.

Could this be a pressure plate problem? I was diagnosed by a Ford dealer as needing a new clutch,,and in particular a new pressure plate. They said it wasn't letting go properly.

Would that explain why when I put the clutch in, the sound goes away? Seems to do it all the time (shifting to 2nd is notchy when cold,,but butta when warmed up).

·
April 2012 ROTM
4,739 Posts
when your in neutral and you have your foot off the clutch the hum your hearing is the internals of the transmission turning....just because its not in gear doesnt mean that there isnt movement in the transmission when the clutch is engaged

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
,,forgot to mention this is when I'm sitting still.

So sitting still,,clutch out - whine.

Sitting still, clutch in - no whine.

Still sound normal? It's not what I would call a 'bad' sound,,just curious.

·
April 2012 ROTM
4,739 Posts
its def normal by the sounds of it

·
April 2012 ROTM
4,739 Posts
^+1 I didnt know you were on here Tim lol

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
My mom's Challenger had the same issue with the whining in neutral with the clutch out. It was the TOB. We replaced it and the issue was fixed.

If it was the internals making that whining sound, it would probably do it when the car was in gear as well.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was wondering about the TOB,,,could be. Just went out to lunch, and she didn't make the sound,,,I'm not tooooo worried about it.

...looks like this car has a new clutch kit in it's future (and oem tob too).....

if only I could figure out the P0171, and P0174 codes from my new intake now :(

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
I was wondering about the TOB,,,could be. Just went out to lunch, and she didn't make the sound,,,I'm not tooooo worried about it.

...looks like this car has a new clutch kit in it's future (and oem tob too).....

if only I could figure out the P0171, and P0174 codes from my new intake now :(
P0171 System Too Lean - Bank No. 1.
P0174 System Too Lean - Bank No. 2.

According to my documentation, you're running lean

·
Penetration before detonation
2,189 Posts
When you barely push the clutch in, does the sound go away? I have somewhat of the same problem, only it goes away when I rest my foot on the clutch.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ya,,,i've got another thread about it. I can't seem to install a simple inlet tube on this car :(

They go away soon as I put the stocker back on. I think I must have a leak somewhere,,but all the hoses are good and tight. Going to spray soapy bubbles all over my engine this afternoon to see if I can track it down,,,otherwise I'll have to swap the stocker intake back on.......so depressed.

---suprajay79 - it goes away when i reach the clutch engagement point closer to the floor (where it catches).

·
April 2012 ROTM
4,739 Posts
ya,,,i've got another thread about it. I can't seem to install a simple inlet tube on this car :(

They go away soon as I put the stocker back on. I think I must have a leak somewhere,,but all the hoses are good and tight. Going to spray soapy bubbles all over my engine this afternoon to see if I can track it down,,,otherwise I'll have to swap the stocker intake back on.......so depressed.

---suprajay79 - it goes away when i reach the clutch engagement point closer to the floor (where it catches).
dont use soapy bubbles...use carb or brake cleaner..let it run and spray the cleaner...when the idle goes up you know you found your leak

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i've also heard to use carb cleaner,,,but i'm not a big fan of spraying flammable stuff on a running engine. I know it's safe,,,just me though.

Any reason not to use soapy bubbles? Just a few,,,,,,'scrubbing bubbles' :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.