Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing a little price checking to see what it would cost to install a sub in my car (planning on replacing all the speakers as well with 4 Alpine SPS-507, but that's easy). Not looking to wake up the next city over so I'm going with a single 10" sub just to get some more bass. I'm planning on going with an Alpine SWE-1043. Single voice coil, 4ohms, 100-250 RMS, 700 peak watts. I know I need a 2-channel amp and I know it's bad to underpower the subs, but that's about my car audio knowledge in a nutshell. I'm looking at amps on Crutchfield and see "50 watts x 2" and "200 watts RMS x 1 bridged" in the same description. I don't have any idea what I'm looking at so what should I be looking for in an amplifier?

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
you dont need a two channel. you can use a mono sub amp. what you need is an amp that puts out around 250w at 4 ohms. so if you use a two channel thats going to be 250w x 1ch bridged @ 4 ohms. if its a mono its just 250w at 4 ohms.

also its not "bad" to underpower subs, or any speaker. you just lose output.

·
Registered
546 Posts
idk what your budget is but I have the mtx thunderform powered sub and its perfect for me. I found one used on craigslist for $75 and jumped all over it. It gives out just enough bass for me and it doesnt take up much room at all in the trunk.

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you dont need a two channel. you can use a mono sub amp. what you need is an amp that puts out around 250w at 4 ohms. so if you use a two channel thats going to be 250w x 1ch bridged @ 4 ohms. if its a mono its just 250w at 4 ohms.

also its not "bad" to underpower subs, or any speaker. you just lose output.
Awesome, thanks Nate :)

idk what your budget is but I have the mtx thunderform powered sub and its perfect for me. I found one used on craigslist for $75 and jumped all over it. It gives out just enough bass for me and it doesnt take up much room at all in the trunk.
I have no idea what my budget is either. Haven't really set one but I think I'm going to poke around CL and see what's on there for subs/amps. I'm sure those get sold all the time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts