Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, quick question.

Meet up with the mustang guys last night. While driving to get some food, I got on it a little and my buddy behind me said he saw some smoke come out when I "hit" it.

Now I never notice the car smoking EVER. But then again, I never look in my rear view when im on the gas haha.

My question: On the way home from dinner, I got in front of my other buddy and told him to look for smoke when I hit it. Well I hit it and he said he didn't see any smoke at all... so whats up?

*side note*

I changed my oil the other day, (took ~7 qts, had to drain the blower), and when I pored the used oil back into the empty bottles, I only pored ~6 qts. Any ideas?

·
Registered
678 Posts
White smoke or black? It could be oil leaking past the valve guides. If that's the case you want to get it fixed ASAP because oil in the combustion chamber will greatly reduce the octane rating of fuel.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
he said it was a mix, but I have really never seen it. any ideas? where are the valve guides located? and why would oil be leaking past them?

*edit*
the vacuum line from the top of my valve covers have oil in them... could I be getting oil from there?

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
This is the kind of crap that always scares me.

1.) Identify smoke color.
Blue- oil, very bad.
White- possibly coolant. also very bad.
Black- mostly carbon/unburned fuel. Not so bad, you're just running rich. Think of an overfueled diesel.

2.) Try to locate source.
Oil- could be valve seals, worn rings, or sucking oil in from the CCV. Check your CCV discharge into the intake to see if its blowing oil. A compression check should give away bad rings. It's tough to see if seals are leaking.
Coolant-head gasket. f*ck. Or it could be a cracked intake somehow leaking into the sparkplug well and into the engine, but this usually precipitates a misfire.

Those would just be my guesses.

I would definitely monitor oil consumption. It sounds like you have a problem with that. You must be burning it somewhere. I'd look into it before you start to see big problems.

Edit: If there's oil entering the piston, there could be spark plug fouling. Check those.

·
I Poop Entirely Way Too Much
8,720 Posts
Could be your tune. When you push it harder there more burning. Ive seen smoke come from exhaust from other cars. If its bad to where its a problem you'll be able to see it from the rear view mirror.

·
8,720 Posts
Also if its ONLY when your on it dont worry. A leaking guide or something else will produce smoke after idling for a lil, such as at a light.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is this something I can see by just reving it in the garage? There is oil in the CCV system, if that is the one that connects to the top of the valve covers (it is oily in there)

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also if its ONLY when your on it dont worry. A leaking guide or something else will produce smoke after idling for a lil, such as at a light.
this is only when I get on it.... and it is only sometimes, not all the time

·
8,720 Posts
If its bad enough you'll see it with just reving. Whem my rings went it was constant white smoke at idle.

Being that its only sometimes at WOT, id say your ok. You might wanna get your tune checked though.

And delete your CCV. Especially if its before the the blower your sucking oil into the air evenn if its after you can still get oil intot he engine. Oil lowers octane!

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
True. Very common in older pushrod motors. Not much you can do about it without ripping the heads off. It's not damaging (too much) to the motor, but it's not good. Still a leaking guide, still burning oil though.

is this something I can see by just reving it in the garage? There is oil in the CCV system, if that is the one that connects to the top of the valve covers (it is oily in there)
Not really. But if there's significant oil in there you might want to consider a catch can, or better yet a coalescing oil filter. Since you're boosted, you may be getting more blowby, and thus more oil into the CCV. You can setup a coalescing oil filter pretty easy. It will take those blowby gases, coalesce the oil droplets out of them, and return them to the oil pan. If you install it and your oil consumption stops, bingo, you're set. (Or if you install the catch can and your can is filled with about the amount you're losing.)
If it persists, the remedy is going to be pretty labor intensive.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Just a question but was it a cool night? could have been like fog/steam from the hot exhaust.

·
Registered
678 Posts
he said it was a mix, but I have really never seen it. any ideas? where are the valve guides located? and why would oil be leaking past them?

*edit*
the vacuum line from the top of my valve covers have oil in them... could I be getting oil from there?
it is a very good possibility that is the problem. It wouldn't be a bad idea to install an oil separator or just ditch the PCV valve and go with simple breathers.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just a question but was it a cool night? could have been like fog/steam from the hot exhaust.
it was right around 8PM, as the sun was going down. felt good outside I guess haha. I had been driving around all day, parked for an hour to talk (from 7 to 8) and then we took off. that is when he saw the smoke. We went to eat at a restaurant, and when we got out I Told my other buddy to get behind me as I hit it to look for smoke. He didnt see anything. (around 930)

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
*update*

I was just out driving and got on it and watched behind me as best as I could and I didn't see any smoke at all.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
i wouldn't worry about it. mine has blown white smoke occasionally and it runs like a champ. i think its just a slightly rich condition...jmo

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I run very rich, my tuner set it up that way (for safety from detonation)

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
thats all it is IMo...mine is tuned by prodyno as well and i've noticed that mine is pretty rich as well compared to other setups...but better safe than sorry.

here is a vid of some white smoke...guys says the car was just running rich in the "more info" line on youtube

·
Registered
641 Posts
My car will produce a puff of black smoke every once and a while. Mostly during hard driving. I think it's odd, because it's still on a stock tune.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ftfy.

Note: If your car is consuming a quart of oil I'd still be concerned. Catchcan/coalescing filter would still be a good idea.
well my oil feed and drain assembly also leaked a bit... which I fixed on my last oil change.

haha and no my car is not wrapped around a tree, I would not do something to make that even remotely possible lol.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts