Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to put jba long tube headers on my 10 gt but didnt realize how expensive headers/shorty h pipe/ installation would be. if i put on an off road h pipe will i basically get the same sound and performance as the long tube headers for a third of the price?

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
if you got the same sound and power i dont think anyone would ever buy them... your car will be louder but you wont gain anything! Buy the parts and install them yourself, give you some good wrench time on the car, pretty straight forward install too. cant beat the sound of long tubes!

·
Carport Built
871 Posts
The sound won't be the same but it will be a lot louder. Most of your gains would come from the midpipe anyways, but you will leave a little power on the table by not doing longtubes.

·
Registered
273 Posts
You definitely won't get close the same performance. There's a reason that the headers cost so much. The sound will definitely change with just an offroad H, but the headers will improve the sound a bit more and "round it out"

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
The sound won't be the same but it will be a lot louder. Most of your gains would come from the midpipe anyways, but you will leave a little power on the table by not doing longtubes.
by losing the cats you would gain probably 1 or 2 hp... this guy doesnt know what he is talking about

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
Headers are go to gain you five to ten fold what you will gain by just ditching the cats. You need to share what you're smoking.

And why buy a mid pipe now just to buy another one when you do get the headers? Seems silly to buy it twice. If you're looking to spend less $, you might want to look at Pacesetters. LT's and O/R mid-pipe for about $525 shipped.

·
Zip's Supervisor
13,624 Posts
Headers are go to gain you five to ten fold what you will gain by just ditching the cats. You need to share what you're smoking.

And why buy a mid pipe now just to buy another one when you do get the headers? Seems silly to buy it twice. If you're looking to spend less $, you might want to look at Pacesetters. LT's and O/R mid-pipe for about $525 shipped.
This. I just bought Pacesetter LTs and o/r h pipe for under $400 shipped.

·
Carport Built
871 Posts

I have no clue what you just said in this sentence. I'm assuming 5-10 more hp is what your saying which is my point. If you want to spend that for that's little bit of power that's fine. I assumed op is looking for sound.

·
Carport Built
871 Posts
Just keep looking up dude, still 4.6 with 8 extra valves. Feel free to prove me wrong, you remove all those cats and I will put money you gain more than 1-2 hp lmao

·
Blood, Sweat and Gears...
2,139 Posts
LT Headers work well with all mods, so 10hp shouldn't be the only thing to think about..

·
Registered
13,626 Posts

I have no clue what you just said in this sentence. I'm assuming 5-10 more hp is what your saying which is my point. If you want to spend that for that's little bit of power that's fine. I assumed op is looking for sound.
Is English your second language? It says you will gain five to ten times the power from LT's when compared to just removing the cats. I'm talking about 10 to 20 hp.

Just keep looking up dude, still 4.6 with 8 extra valves. Feel free to prove me wrong, you remove all those cats and I will put money you gain more than 1-2 hp lmao
What do you mean by all those cats? How many catalytic converters are you talking about. I know my friends SN95 had like 3-4 cats on each pipe. We only have one. Removing the single cat from the exhaust pipe does help but it does not make a huge difference.

Here is a pretty informative read. Granted this is with a boosted motor so you won't see the 30-40 hp gains from an NA set up, but 10-20 is reasonable and conservative assumption. http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/m5lp_0904_s197_ford_mustang_headers/viewall.html Now can you show how you are going to gain that kind of power by removing a single cat off an exhaust pipe?

·
Carport Built
871 Posts
I am not saying headers arent worth getting, just that removing the cats will net more than 1-2 hp. Cats are restrictive as hell.

·
KILLER
1,722 Posts
Highflow cats steal 5 HP from N/A motors. Stock cats steal under 10.

LTHs + O/R X pipe = 30WHP

The POWER gains really come from the LTH's. X-pipe and cat delete give you sound and peace of mind (when running FI).

OP, get LTHs. If you get a midpipe and later on decide to get LTH's, then you will have to buy ANOTHER midpipe to fit the LTH's.

LS1GT, The cats on the S197s aren't restrictive, thats old school stuff you're talking about. I know guys running 630whp on their GT500s with stock cats with no problems.

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
I am not saying headers arent worth getting, just that removing the cats will net more than 1-2 hp. Cats are restrictive as hell.
You might gain a few more than 1-2 hp but it does not even come close to what you gain from headers. Your first statement sounds like you think removing cats will gain you more than installing headers and that is completely false.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts