Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just installed long tube headers throwing check engine light now... lengthened the wiring on first set of o2 sensors to reach but no hook ups for 2nd set any ideas or has anyone had trouble with theres??

·
Registered
789 Posts
If your last two o2 sensors aren't plugged in and you don't have cats, and there isn't a tune that ends them off then you'll throw a cel. Its because the rear o2 sensors aren't reason your exhaust gas and aren't noticing a difference in emissions.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i agree totally i was wondering if you knew how to fix it if they make simulators for the newer years and if you can just torch a new hole in the headers to fit them in... also do any of the programmers allow you to adjust for the headers...

·
Registered
789 Posts
Sadly MIL eliminators don't work on our cars, if you want you can have o2 bungs welded in after the cats and that'll fix it. But to see the true potential of your headers you should probably get a new tune anyways. While your at it just have your tuner turn off the rear sensors and the cel will turn off.

·
Registered
77 Posts
You need a tune...If the location of the first two o2 sensors move slightly from the stock location you will through a code. Also the rear o2 like said before need to be turned off...I always suggest Brenspeed for tunes.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
^ good advise. Even if you lengthen the wires you will get a slow warm up code and mil (I am running cats as well)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the info! does the brenspeed programmer have the capabilities to do everything i need (such as telling the car the new position of the sensors and the lack of 2 sensors due to the long tubes) and ddoes anyone have any input on the sct tsx extreme programmer

·
Registered
77 Posts
When you order the SCT it will come with a custom tune, you just have to give them your CPU # off the car and all the mods you currently have.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so is the sct tsx touch screen in anyway different then the sct livewire thats offered?? do i need to take this to a shop when hooked up to make sure tune is just right or just trust the tune they have written will work great on my car??

·
Yut Yut Devil Dog
4,591 Posts
If you order your tuner from a dependable company and have them load the tunes it'll be fine. I used American Muscle and they tune with Bama Chips, it works great. If you already have a tuner, you can always call them up, and they'll write you a tune and email it. If you need a pretty simple tune (i.e. exhaust, intake, gears... etc) I'd recommend AM. If you need something complicated (i.e. s/c, turbo, cams etc...) Go with VMP, or Straightline Performance. Hope this helps...

·
Yut Yut Devil Dog
4,591 Posts
Sorry, I forgot the first part of your question.

TSX has bluetooth and is all touchscreen. I personally think both TSX and LiveWire are unnecessary. Unless you really want to f*ck around with your car with virtual frag strips and 0-60 times, and have a cool looking huge f*cking thing... Just stick with a SF-3. It tunes with the same software, and is really easy to use. The other two really aren't worth the extra 3-400 bucks...

·
Registered
135 Posts
The other thing to consider....if you live in a state that requires emissions inspections, read on. If not, disregard this post.

When I had my longtubes installed, the tuner turned off the rear 02 sensors. Then, when I went to get my inspection, it failed the emissions test as a result. Had to talk to the tuner and get an "emissions" tune....basically a tune where they turn all the O2 sensors on, and modify the tables associated with them so you don't throw check engine lights. You run that tune for a day or two, go get the car inspected, and then reload the other tune (with the o2's off).

Make sure when you talk to the tuner, you ask them for this.

·
The Constitutionalist
431 Posts
I just installed mac long/mid (could be called either) tubes and eliminated my cats entirely, just used the o2 extensions.. Brenspeed built a tune for me and I have not thrown a CEL yet... Hopefully it stays that way!

·
Registered
789 Posts
I just installed mac long/mid (could be called either) tubes and eliminated my cats entirely, just used the o2 extensions.. Brenspeed built a tune for me and I have not thrown a CEL yet... Hopefully it stays that way!
As long as you told them your not running cats you wont throw a code because they turned off the rear o2 sensors in the tune. How was the install? Anything noticeably hard?

·
The Constitutionalist
431 Posts
The install took me and my buddy about 4 hours... that was including removing several parts that we later deemed unnecessary to remove. you do however have to lift the motor about 1 inch and remove several things to squeeze the LTs in there, If you have a hydraulic lift make sure you lift the motor from the bottom rather than pulling it from the top, hence removing the unnecessary parts! I DO NOT RECOMMEND DOING THIS IN YOUR GARAGE!! haha i know people do it all the time but they claim it takes sometimes up to 10-11 hours, entirely too long if you ask me.

The only downside to the longtubes is that they rub on the right inner fenderwell just barely but upon making a left hand turn and getting on the throttle the motor torques right and the body rolls left so it rubs slightly, which is quite gay. But the sound and power is badass...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts