Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are yall running? i'm about to bite the bullet and buy a set.. just don't know which ones FIT/INSTALL GREAT... i heard SLP's need to loosin motor mounts... pita. Yea, give me your opinions! BBK, JBA, ARH, BORLA, HOOKER.... who makes em good WITH and or/x or h.

THANKS YALL!

I'll be doing a DIY on a ring and pinion install if anyone is interested.. just need to get some more BEANS!

·
Skirt Chasing Philanderer
14,391 Posts
Macs are nice. They are qaulity and affordable. Any longtube headers you will have to loosen the motor mount and shift the motor to ease things along a little. Im not to familiar with you so please dont be insulted by questioning you intelligence with cars. But you do know LTs are somewhat compicated ( a 6 on a 10 scale ), and also you will need a tuner ( or new tune ), and new midpipe as the factory one wont fit with Longtubes, and the kit for the downstream 02s.

·
Premium Member
39,159 Posts

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
got my BBK's ceramic coated w/ o/r x pipe for 750, fitment is good. if you want best of the best (ARH, Kooks, stainless works) its gonna cost in the neighborhood of 1200+. but to me the BBK's are good, still looks brand new.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
American Racing or Kooks. top two. every other brands I've heard have fitment issues....

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Kooks and ARH are supposedly the best quality out there, but JBA, BBK, and Macs are all decent alternatives. Kinda depends on what kind of mid-pipe you want too.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
ARH-1 3/4" full lenght- stainless steel
Kooks- 1 5/8" full length- stainless steel
Mac-1 3/4" mid length- mild steel
Hookers-1 5/8" full length- mild steel
Dynatech-1 3/4" full length- stainless steel

The Dynatech and ARH would be my first choices because of the design is a full length header with 1 3/4" primaries and made of stainless steel.

I have the Dynatech and have no complaints about them, liked them because it came with a low profile 4 bolt ball flange to increase ground clearance.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks fellas!! damn this is a good forum a++
it does not insult my intelligence at all. thats why i'm asking. i've never worked on a mustang before... but i can reach every 13mm nut there is. i also really wanted to go with ceramic because SS is, believe it or not, the best header material... it RADIATE HEAT like crazy... had a set of OBX's on my 01 f-body... great to look at but... also, SS has a tendency to expand at the flange more than raw steel coated in a metallic ceramic (jet coating, armor coat, etc.) i have seen stainless flanges actually warping off the head slightly at severaly elevated temps... resulting in an ineffective seal... i think im going with the kooks, then coating them to help with heat control.
i'm really more worried about fitment. i don't think ill have to loosen the mounts, i have it on the lift now.. just gonna disconncet the steering shaft.
again thanks fellas.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Trust us when we say move the engine mounts. You'll save yourself a ton of heart ache. As far as fitment goes, the general concensus is Kooks or ARH, they're not that expensive for nothing. I have the ARH on my car with an offroad prochamber and flowmaster, the fit was impeccable. Good thing about the ARH's is their collectors are a slip fit style, which like KBcharged said about those of you concerned with ground clearance, is as good as it gets. Another piece of advice on the rest of your exhaust system, if your gonna run a chambered muffler like a flowmaster your gonna want to utilize an h-pipe or pro chamber as your midpipe, the X's are very loud and reedy with these 3 valves. As far as performace is concerned we all know X are marginally better but you'll never miss it when your car sounds better with the H or prochamber.

·
Registered
144 Posts
yea kooks are supposed to be the best i have a pair on order

1 - 16 of 16 Posts