Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Ginger with No Soul
1,124 Posts
Depends on what's done to your car and what you use it for. Longtubes are great, especially if racing the car. But depending on whats mods you have, sometimes the 5.0s are better with the shortys. Like I said, it all depends.

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
long tubes, no negatives, just a smidge longer to put on the car

·
meh
5,272 Posts
I have the MAC shorty equal length 1-5/8" in my car, the previous owner put them on. I drive the car daily and have no problems. I bought the aluminum header/head gaskets, and the header/pipe connections don't need gaskets. No leaks or other problems.

You can pull the engine and put it back in without removing them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
yea longtubes are better performance wise but they arent just a bolt in for ur stock exhaust. ur gonna have to modify you pipes if you still have stock exhaust on

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
A potential issue with long tubes is the clearance and space to get them installed and clearence and spaces left once they are installed. Replacing a starter or doing work on your transmission or motor mounts etc might require a lot more work than if you had shorties. Still doable either way, just pointing that out as a potential negative that you may or may not care about.

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
Longtubes produce more torque but in some situations have fitment issues with your steering shaft etc. They can be a pita to install and come plug change time as well as some brands tend to hang really low where as other brands aren't as low. Also in most states longtubes are illegal inspection wise

Shorty header design you have no negitives except that they won't produce as much torque as longtubes.

·
Registered
48 Posts
hey i cant figure out what size of headers to get. example on the sites they'll have a size like 1 5/8 or 1 3/4s . I have a stock 302 in my 89 LX i dont know where to begin..?
Can someone please clarify this for me.

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
hey i cant figure out what size of headers to get. example on the sites they'll have a size like 1 5/8 or 1 3/4s . I have a stock 302 in my 89 LX i dont know where to begin..?
Can someone please clarify this for me.
do the 1 5/8's for a stock motor.. you'll loose a noticeable amount of low end with the larger 1 3/4's

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i just ordered the shortys for this money pit i think its gona b worth it when im doing the many repairs i forsee coming

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
A potential issue with long tubes is the clearance and space to get them installed and clearence and spaces left once they are installed. Replacing a starter or doing work on your transmission or motor mounts etc might require a lot more work than if you had shorties. Still doable either way, just pointing that out as a potential negative that you may or may not care about.
I had a 351w and long tubes, plug changes, easy.

motor mount work, easy

starter access slightly tricky, but thats more to the design not the headers

no prob gettin the trans on/off the car with long tubes

only thing I did to install them was undo the motor mounts jack up the side and slide them in, drop motor, tighten mounts, go to the other side.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
It helps what BRAND the headers are. Cheap headers will fit and leak like cheap headers. With longtubes, starter replacement is a pain (but how often do change starters?)

I vote shorties for stock/daily drivers and longtubes for any modded or drag cars - the longtubes really help a stroker/blower/built motor

1 - 20 of 22 Posts