Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did not install my bbk longtubes, but they look awfully tight in there. Anyway need to replace my clutch and I think I have an exhaust leak either at the header at the head or at the collector. Very hard to tell. I would like to know how hard it is to repace header gaskets and clutch and what is a reasonable price a shop should charge me. Also if anyone is from new jersey a good place to get this done. Lastly does anyone know of a way to get trans out without removing longtubes. THERE HAS TO BE SOMEBODY OUT THERE THAT HAS ACCOMPLISHED THIS!!!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
By the way it is a 2000 gt and does all work get done under car or is any removal done on top of motor? Only asking because car has kb intercooled supercharger on it and do not want anyone mesing with top of motor. Thanx in advance for any input

·
April 2012 ROTM
4,739 Posts
your best bet is to pull the k member out...yank off the headers...replace the clutch and re assemble with new gaskets......BBK LT's wont allow you to remove the transmission with them in place ....bummer huh? lol By the way...whats your setup and whats your dyno/track numbers?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
kb ic running 9lbs. with semi aggressive tune. 373 gears 90mm maf and 4 inch cai. 373 gears longtubes and magnaflows. dynoed at 423 hp and so far have run consistent 12.40's on nittos. Keep spinning from 1st to 2nd. What do you think the labor charge should be for the clutch on regasketing my exhaust

·
Boost gets you laid
2,625 Posts
dude labor for that is gonna kill. you have to pull the k-member which is a BITCH.. (i don't have a lift so doing it on jackstands sucks. and tranny is a pain to do too. i would almost rather take it to the shop than do that myself but nobody is touching my car but me. probable over 1k to get that stuff done just in labor.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WOW. Anybody recommend a good shop in new jersey? I cannot get under this car to do this. My body just will not tolerate that

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
its not that bad, get an engine hoise to support the motor, undo the k member and drop it slowly with a jack, then remove the passenger header only, drop the trans put the new clutch , put the trans back and put the header on

If you havent done it, give yourself a day or two

In orlando most places want 600 or so for header installs, and about the same for a clutch job

might get a break since you are already in there but id be ready to shell out close to 1k for a shop to do it all

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
some soapy water will help you find your exhaust leak.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
its not that bad, get an engine hoise to support the motor, undo the k member and drop it slowly with a jack, then remove the passenger header only, drop the trans put the new clutch , put the trans back and put the header on

If you havent done it, give yourself a day or two

In orlando most places want 600 or so for header installs, and about the same for a clutch job

might get a break since you are already in there but id be ready to shell out close to 1k for a shop to do it all
Damn you need to come to tampa.. I just got my clutch replaced for $300 by a reputable shop.

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
or i just do it myself, **** a shop lol

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
its not that big of a deal. the header on the passenger side is the side that creates the issue. you can loosen the header and swing it out of the way enough without touching motor or k (pain in the ass), lower the k (i use jack stands to support motor, picker gets in the way), or remove passenger motor mount nut and lift motor enough to loosen/pull header.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just heard if you take the whole upper shifter asembly out you can turn trans 90 degrees and slide it out. Anyone out there try this?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Going to go the header direction. Think I have an exhaust leak coming from either the headers at the block or collector. Hear a ticking noise at idle sounds like its coming from the collector area of exhaust and also hear what sounds like an exhaust leak under load at low rpms especially 4th and fifth gear when not accelerating hard almost when you are kind of lugging car.Any other ideas of what i am describing? Hope its not engine problem!!!! Any suggestions on header gaskets and collector gaskets to make sure no leaks after doing clutch?

·
April 2012 ROTM
4,739 Posts
kb ic running 9lbs. with semi aggressive tune. 373 gears 90mm maf and 4 inch cai. 373 gears longtubes and magnaflows. dynoed at 423 hp and so far have run consistent 12.40's on nittos. Keep spinning from 1st to 2nd. What do you think the labor charge should be for the clutch on regasketing my exhaust
I cant wait to make a statement like that!! :D lol thats my exact setup :D

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
id do the install myself if i was you the labor is going to kill you anyways sweet2kstang gave you the easiest way to do it. Just go at it and save your self some cash but if you insist on having a shop do it contact newjerseystang he should know of a place where you could take it that will probably save you some cash on the install

1 - 17 of 17 Posts