Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of horsepower increase or ET decrease are you guys seeing with adding long tubes?

Also what kind did you go with?

I'm thinking hard on some Kooks.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks brutha. That's right around what I expected. I don't see where there would be too much difference between brands.

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
kooks.

I dont know that gains were from the kooks alone cuase i had cams, delete plates and the headers put on at the same time so i cant even say how they affected the car. helpful aint i?

I will say this the guy who installed my kooks said that the kooks arent normal long tubes, they are in between a long and meduim length header and they dont see as much of a gain as some other long tubes. I dont know if that statement is true or not, you might want to research it. he is a big jba guy so maybe he was just talking ****. he also said i should throw my steeda delete plates away that they never do anything and that i wouldnt get much if anything from my cams. 48hp later im happy. my car is a lot faster.

I will say this you will not regret it.

·
Premium Member
39,159 Posts
kooks.

I dont know that gains were from the kooks alone cuase i had cams, delete plates and the headers put on at the same time so i cant even say how they affected the car. helpful aint i?

I will say this the guy who installed my kooks said that the kooks arent normal long tubes, they are in between a long and meduim length header and they dont see as much of a gain as some other long tubes. I dont know if that statement is true or not, you might want to research it. he is a big jba guy so maybe he was just talking ****. he also said i should throw my steeda delete plates away that they never do anything and that i wouldnt get much if anything from my cams. 48hp later im happy. my car is a lot faster.

That guy is full of ****. The delete plates do help and the cams add a good increase in HP, but if it were me I wouldn't have gone with the NSR cams. The cost to HP increase ratio isn't high enough for me. I would have done everything you did except for the cams and saved to have the heads P&P'd and added some BBR stage II cams.

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
bbr stage II cams might get you 40 at best for $2000 with parts and labor thats $50 per horse.

NSR cams 27hp for 1000 with parts and labor thats less the $50 per horse. there is what made my mind up. But 2 each his own brother.

Yea i know the guy is full of **** on the cams and delete plates and maybe even the hp of the kooks

I just dont know if he is right about the length of the kooks being different. figure id throw it out there. im sure someone on here knows.

He actually is a well known guy in maryland won a lot of races and built a lot of stangs, but who knows.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
he's right about the length of the kooks, they are more of a mid length header like the Macs. Not sure about the numbers though

·
Premium Member
39,159 Posts
bbr stage II cams might get you 40 at best for $2000 with parts and labor thats $50 per horse.

NSR cams 27hp for 1000 with parts and labor thats less the $25 per horse. there is what made my mind up. But 2 each his own brother.
But for me, I have a friend who is a tech at a Ford dealership. He is the one who installed my exhaust. I would get him to do it. Pay him $400 and give em a case of beer. Then I would have Boomer (member on this site) P&P my heads. That is another 70hp for $2500. Granted you can't have the cams installed that cheap but when paired with P&P heads is where the BBR stage IIs really shine.

·
Premium Member
39,159 Posts
if you get 70hp from port and polished heads let me know where to sign up. I was told by several people you wouldnt see anywhere near that on these three vavles, that maybe you would get 25hp if god liked you.
That 70hp is including the BBR stage II cams. P&P heads alone won't get you anywhere near that.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
kooks.

Actually very helpful. I was planning on throwing a Whipple on her, but have decided to use some of those funds to pay off some bills. Now I'm looking at all of the stuff that you just mentioned to tide me over for a while.

·
Premium Member
39,159 Posts
Always keep nitrous in mind. It will gie you great power when you want it. It is a poor man's supercharger.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Always keep nitrous in mind. It will gie you great power when you want it. It is a poor man's supercharger.
Got the Zex kit on my options list also. Just trying to stay away from having to fill bottles. Can't fill them nearby.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have the Kooks headers on my car and I saw a 10RWHP gain, plus the car was running quite a while and it was a warm day here in Texas. They fit more snug up in the engine compartment and down below, I have a friend that has SLP long tube headers on his car and the collectors sit lower than the kooks collectors.

·
Registered
40 Posts
What kind of horsepower increase or ET decrease are you guys seeing with adding long tubes?

Also what kind did you go with?

I'm thinking hard on some Kooks.
you cant go wrong with the kooks. these are the best quality and really well engineered. i made 23 hp with my exhaust. the stock catback might be screwing everyone else. at very least get a muffler that kooks suggests to work with their setup. i believe that they actually have a branded muffler. they have also tested this and figured out the best combo for the most hp. call kook jr. and ask him. the guy is cool as hell and will help you with anything that you need

·
Registered
462 Posts
I'm going with Kooks also,as a matter of fact,I'm getting the header's,high flow cats,Xpipe,3:73 gears and Hurst shifter intalled in the next couple of days,along with a custom tune for the header's...I'll post the dyno number's,plus I have my baselines for before this work was done for some good comparisons....:cool:

·
Registered
379 Posts
you cant go wrong with the kooks. these are the best quality and really well engineered. i made 23 hp with my exhaust. the stock catback might be screwing everyone else. at very least get a muffler that kooks suggests to work with their setup. i believe that they actually have a branded muffler. they have also tested this and figured out the best combo for the most hp. call kook jr. and ask him. the guy is cool as hell and will help you with anything that you need
if i remember correctly, kooks website recommends the corsa axle backs with their system.

also, doesn't kooks make a catted h-pipe now?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts