Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all,

i'm about to buy a 95 gt... but with the budget i've got, i won't be able to get a super-low mileage car. so i was wondering about the longevity of the 5.0 motor... the car i buy is probably gonna have between 95,000-125,000 miles on it. i'm planning on building a drag car out of it (looking for high 10's, low 11's eventually)(this is a ways in the future of course), so i guess my question is is that too many miles to be modding and building on? it's my second car, so she won't be a daily driver (just a fun car :))

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
if your trying to make it a daily driver in the mean time...i would do it..to many miles on it and if you put some add ons that will make one part works really good but the other parts running like crap..you somthing will mess up and with fords unfortunatly thats gonna make it break down..unless you rip the block out and have the block cleaned and resurfaced, pretty much doing a rebuild.i own a 94 gt and am using it daily but and thats what i did..i ripped the motor out and put twisted wedges heads, cams,rockers,springs, rods, valves, upper and lower holly manifold,blaster coil,taylor wires..but i didnt clean my block and have it machined(thats only cause my friend owned it when i helped him build it, then didnt have time or money to finsish it so i bought it and took over...i havent decided if i want to sell my car and finance and 06 saleen ..or im gonna keep building this car and eventually everything will be aftermarket from the ground up...but new cars are nice..

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I wouldnt do it i meant to say, if its a daily driver and you dont have the money right now

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah that's just it... it's NOT gonna be a daily driver. it'll be street legal and all, but it'll mostly just be used on the track and on really nice days on the street.

·
Registered
386 Posts
the miles don't really matter. When you get one do a compression and leakdown test on it. My last 95 GT had 217,000 miles on it when I finally sold it and it was still running just as strong as it when when I bought it with with 64k. 5.0's will last a very long time as long as they're taken care of. Just my .02

·
Resident Headbanger
2,421 Posts
hey all,

i'm about to buy a 95 gt... but with the budget i've got, i won't be able to get a super-low mileage car. so i was wondering about the longevity of the 5.0 motor... the car i buy is probably gonna have between 95,000-125,000 miles on it. i'm planning on building a drag car out of it (looking for high 10's, low 11's eventually)(this is a ways in the future of course), so i guess my question is is that too many miles to be modding and building on? it's my second car, so she won't be a daily driver (just a fun car :))
The mileage certainly isn't high and the 5.0 is well known for its longevity but like any engine, its lifespan will not only depend on the manufacturing quality but also on the quality of maintenance (and its treatment) by the previous owner(s).
Compression and leakdown tests will give some indication about the engine's health but they won't tell you about the condition of the bearings. If the engine seems generally healthy, holds good oil pressure, and doesn't make any abnormal noises, you can run it as it is for a while. When the time comes to do serious performance mods like heads/cam/intake or forced induction, I suggest you also have the bottom end rebuilt so that it'll stand up to the punishment.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the input guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts