Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I need something with better gas mileage. Going to school twice a day is killing me in the Mustang.

I really want to get a Motorcycle. However I have no idea what I would be looking for. I have never drove one, or bought one. Im liking the Kawasaki Ninjas that I see. My hope is to get a used one for very cheap. Im lookin at around $2000 if it is possible. Im not lookin for one that is great looking, just one in decent condition that can get me from point A to B.

I have been lookin at the ones on Ebay and im gonna contact a shop here. Any suggestions or info would be apperciated guys. Thanks.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I called the local shop, they are running a credit app on me atm. Lookin at getting a 2006 Yamaha YZF-R6.

Yamaha 2006 YZF-R6

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Next question... for someone who has never drivin a Motorcycle, how hard would it be to pick up the skill?

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know, thats why I want one so bad... I need something to help with gas to drive to school/work.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Next question... for someone who has never drivin a Motorcycle, how hard would it be to pick up the skill?

not hard at all.. just take it easy when u come off the clutch.. also if u have a harley davidson shop near u they have a course that u can take for like 100 bucks or so..

·
Registered
48 Posts
for someone just starting out in the 2-wheel'd biz, i think you shouldn't go for something you have to pay off over 9 years. ya it looks awesome and they ride like the wind, but what if you biff it and write off hte bike? then your out $xxxx.xx and have to find something else. try and find something that wont kill your wallet if you wipe it out. i'm not saying your going to wipe, but the possibility is always there. i love to ride, and hopefully i'm getting a bike soon for free that requires some work.

the skill isn't too bad to pick up if you have a great sense of balance. just remember its nothing like driving a car, you always have to be aware of the surroundings and people around you. some drivers are out to **** up riders just beause they think they are better. if you can scrape the money together after you buy the bike you find, i would go take some lessons. they are totally worth it. plus you might even get a discount on insurance after riding lessons. my brother did that and he said he wouldn't do it any other way.

google BC Sport Bike and there should be a forum for that, snoop around, ask questions and stuff. dont be afraid of riding a bike. once you figure it all out its fun as hell!

·
Registered
135 Posts
check craigslist too.. i would probably get a used bike to start with..

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, with a Co Sign I can get this one for around $100/month for 24 months. However that was a estimate by the sales rep. Im waiting on a call back.

Even if its $150 a month I will save that in gas. Im spending close to $100/month on gas easy. I was told this one would go for around $4k. Gonna get some more info on it tomorrow.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Been doin some research and decided to go with a smaller CC engine since it would be my first bike. What REALLY stands out to me is the Ninja 250R. Its a 249cc engine my Kawasaki. I can get a new 2008 model at the local dealer. Insurance was around $150-$180/month with Progressive under my name.

The insurance will be alot lower because it will be under my parents with me as a secondary driver. At the local shop's website the MSRP is $3,499. Im thinkin I can get em down to $3000 of not lower. 24 month finance, $125/month or so. around $150/month insurance. $275/month for my better gas mileage driver. Plus I will be using this as not really a DD but a way to go from home to school and work. Therefore I will be putting ALOT less miles on my Mustang and therefore saving the quality of my Mustang.

I think I have found a winner... thoughts?
Kawasaki 2008 Ninja® 250R

Oh, Passion Red or Candy Plasma Blue??

·
Registered
154 Posts
A buddy of mine had a kawasaki 550 or something like that for his first bike. he paid $500 dollars for it and never laid it over in the two years he owned it.

Last august he bought a 2008 Kawasaki ninja zx-6r. 4 days after he bought it, the wind, yes i said wind, blew it over. nearly $2000 dollars in damage. one week after that he laid it over going 5-15 mph because his tires were cold and gave it too much gas in a corner, luckily it was the same side it fell over before. I helped him take it into the shop in september and he finally picked it up last month. Total cost was about $2300 to fix it. luckily he has insurance and it covered all but his $500 deductible(sp)

So you want your first bike to be a cheap one, because the fairings on the new bikes are expense to replace and it is inevitable that you are going to lay it over one eventually.

·
Noob Slayer
2,447 Posts
dont get a 250 go for the 600. take a class, have someone with experience help you/give you tips, or buy a cheap used 250 learn the basics then switch over. 600s arent hard to learn on i rode a fully built r6 when i was 13. and i almost rode a gsxr750 and r1 but i was afraid to because their much heavier and u definitely need experience on a 600 before hopping on the larger cc bikes. you should be fine with some proper instruction on a 600. if you really want to play it safe and get the 250 buy a used one and put a few hundred miles on it and resell it for the same price u bought it for. even a full size motocross bike would be helpful for the basics.

·
Registered
135 Posts
dont get a 250 go for the 600. take a class, have someone with experience help you/give you tips, or buy a cheap used 250 learn the basics then switch over. 600s arent hard to learn on i rode a fully built r6 when i was 13. and i almost rode a gsxr750 and r1 but i was afraid to because their much heavier and u definitely need experience on a 600 before hopping on the larger cc bikes. you should be fine with some proper instruction on a 600. if you really want to play it safe and get the 250 buy a used one and put a few hundred miles on it and resell it for the same price u bought it for. even a full size motocross bike would be helpful for the basics.
+1
i say get the 600

·
Registered
168 Posts
The 250 is a great starter bike but you will want more power within days.If you are the kind of rider to push the envelope I wouldn't get a 600cc supersport but if you are responsible and can control your right wrist you would be ok with the r6.

I know most bike people will tell you to start small but I have a gsxr 600 and a kawi Z1000 and theres a HUGE difference from bike to bike.the gixxer is more manageable and has much more of a sporting pedigree so its good even if you mess up, it is more forgiving because of the factory steering dampner, better brakes and much better handling. But even with all that it is still really easy to get into trouble if you are irresponsible.

The kawisaki is a streetfighter, basicly a sportbike but has renthal bars and no fairings. They saved money by using mostly parts from the ninja zx9 when they discontinued it so most of the parts are from the last generation sport bike but it is a BRUTE.No steering dampner ( carefull for crazy tankslappers when doing hiway wheelies) inferior brakes but more power than nessacary (141 rwp with my mods and it weighs 400lbs) make wheelies and rolling burnouts on tap and its the most fun bike I have ever owned but i would definitly NOT advise a new rider get a literbike (1000 ccs).

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well im having probs getting financing or a loan so it may not be happening for awhile.

I have good credit, but not alot (im 18 with 1 credit card).

Anyone know of a good online finance company :eek:

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
So, I need something with better gas mileage. Going to school twice a day is killing me in the Mustang.

I really want to get a Motorcycle. However I have no idea what I would be looking for. I have never drove one, or bought one. Im liking the Kawasaki Ninjas that I see. My hope is to get a used one for very cheap. Im lookin at around $2000 if it is possible. Im not lookin for one that is great looking, just one in decent condition that can get me from point A to B.

I have been lookin at the ones on Ebay and im gonna contact a shop here. Any suggestions or info would be apperciated guys. Thanks.
Im in the same boat. Only i gotta wait a few years till i can get a bike. Gas here in Michigan is 3.40. In 2 months it said to be over $4.00. 4 gallons to 270miles on a Bike sounds like a deal to me. You should maybe try re posting this in the club house. You might get more responses. I know King Chronic and BoB drive Bikes.

·
Registered
207 Posts
DO NOT SCREW AROUND!
If you never have riden before, take the MSF motorcycle training course. Lots of cities have them.
Motorcycle Safety Foundation

It is way different than driving a car. I took the course and it was heavy on defensive riding techiniques. How to avoid potential problems. It's usually never the rider's fault - it's most always the car driver's fault. Bikes seem to dissapear to them or seem invisible. Sorry for getting on my soapbox on this, but we want to have you posting on here for many years to come.

Ride Safe.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
DO NOT SCREW AROUND!
If you never have riden before, take the MSF motorcycle training course. Lots of cities have them.
Motorcycle Safety Foundation

It is way different than driving a car. I took the course and it was heavy on defensive riding techiniques. How to avoid potential problems. It's usually never the rider's fault - it's most always the car driver's fault. Bikes seem to dissapear to them or seem invisible. Sorry for getting on my soapbox on this, but we want to have you posting on here for many years to come.

Ride Safe.
I was lookin into thoese classes. However, like I said above, looks like its not gonna happen for awhile due to me not having much credit built up. My parents are trying to refinance the Mustang atm. Someone told me you could refinance what is owed, plus add some to it and get the difference back in cash. Like.. $10,000 owed, Refinance for $12,000 and get a $2,000 check.

Anyone ever heard of this?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I think honestly, for your first year, a 250 and an MSF course are great. Then the following year, sell the 250 and move up to a 600. You can usually get a 250 for cheap and pretty much get what you paid for out of it afterwards (assuming you buy used not new). I had an R6, and they're good if you really dont want the 250, but still have more than enough power to bring the front end off the ground, and if you're inexperienced and do that accidently, its not good.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts