Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...Where are there areas of concern to look for on these cars besides the obvious bottom of the panels and around the wheels for rust and corrosion? Are there any hidden areas that are known issues with these cars? I'm basically going to redo the suspension and drive train so those components don't bother me so much, just was looking to see if there is anything quirky I should pay attention to. I have been looking at some vettes and they have a few spots on the frame that need to be looked at. Just don't want to many major surprises after purchasing.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
I know on the 67 & 68s you'd' wanna check the cowl panel and the torque boxes. I have also seen a number of cars rust around the rear window trim on the bottom.

·
Super Moderator
7,915 Posts
...Where are there areas of concern to look for on these cars besides the obvious bottom of the panels and around the wheels for rust and corrosion? Are there any hidden areas that are known issues with these cars? I'm basically going to redo the suspension and drive train so those components don't bother me so much, just was looking to see if there is anything quirky I should pay attention to. I have been looking at some vettes and they have a few spots on the frame that need to be looked at. Just don't want to many major surprises after purchasing.

Thanks guys.
Take a look at my build thread Boss and look at the crap I got into on my 1970 despite it looking fine. The wiring in these things are normally **** at this point, at least it was for mine. The floors are always a place to check and the rear window and along the filler tube for the fuel tank along that little drip rail under the trunk. I actually found some surface rust on the backside of the door skins beneath the factory coating. I didn't see it until I went to replace the door lock rods and removed the door panels. I just chipped some extra coating off, sanded the surface rust and hit it with a rust inhibitor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts