Modded Mustang Forums banner

Looking at a new car

591 views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  pimpdout98gt 
#1 ·
Well, I was heading home from work and I saw something I liked :D

Its a '96 GT, 5spd, stock everything.

Its the stock purple (Mystic I believe its called?) exterior seems ok. Its got tan leather interior.

~120k miles on it, guy is asking $4000

It would be nice for me, because Ive been hard pressed to find anything under $8-9k and the banks arnt wanting to finance with me, and this would be easy to flat out buy. I've looked at it, everything looks clean and good. Seem like a good deal so far?

I just wanted to know if there is anything I should check in specific. Im going to have him fire it up tomorrow I hope. I couldn't today, as my cat was starving and I needed to get home to feed her :p

#2 · (Edited)
If you are paying cash tell him you have between $3000-3500 (you decide the number) and he will probably sell it to you for that. $4000 is not a bad price if you end up paying that by the way.

One thing to look for is leaking fluid and burning oil smell. You are going to have a little at that mileage but nothing incredible like smoking. Another thing my grandfather always told me when buying a sports car was look at the pedals. You can always tell how hard a car has been driven by wear on the pedals.

Also make the dealer supply a Carfax report.

#3 ·
If you are paying cash tell him you have between $3000-3500 (you decide the number) and he will probably sell it to you for that. $4000 is not a bad price if you end up paying that by the way.

One thing to look for is leaking fluid and burning oil smell. You are going to have a little at that mileage but nothing incredible like smoking. Another thing my grandfather always told me when buying a sports car was look at the pedals. You can always tell how hard a car has been driven by wear on the pedals.

Also make the dealer supply a Carfax report.
+10

is it at a dealership or is it privately owned?

#12 ·
Well... Never mind on that plan, it will have to wait till tomorrow. Freaking storming like crazy, took two hours to make the 30min drive home. Morons here cant drive in the rain *sigh*

Oh and good idea, I will borrow my parents camera when I go over tonight so I can shoot some pics

#13 ·
I find the hardest part about GT shopping is one with a decent body. Kids can basically afford GTs so all of them have been through hell and back. I went shopping for Cobras after getting discouraged by looking at so many GT.

The final straw was when I was desperate and couldn't find a Cobra I liked so I went to look at a "Supercharged 4.6L GT." I showed up, it was in probably C- shape. Body was alright, chrome Cobra R's were flaking, seats worn and looked like mashed potatoes. Whatever, I'm damn good at cleaning up cars - the supercharger equalized all these flaws, right?

Wrong. I opened the hood up and saw ... nothing. There was a stock 4.6L with a CAI on it. I asked the salesman, "it said supercharged?"

He replied, "Yeah, uhm... is it this?" He pointed to the intake tube.

#15 ·
It was a bust. Car looked great, just needed a wash. Engine bay looked awsome. It started up nice, till I looked in and saw a check engine light on, ABS light on, at least one other dash light, and some loose wires from around the CD player.

Not for me, I need a car that I can jump into for a daily driver when I get it, no projects :p

Plus he wouldnt come down of the 4000

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.