1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why would you want one vs the other?
C&L street/racer intake - has 85mm MAF housing
C&L racer intake - has 95mm MAF housing

It says street/racer for those not wanting to do future mods. If you are wanting to do more in the future but it may not be for a good while yet, does having the 95mm on an otherwise stock car give less performance than the 85mm? I guess meaning, is going too large going to bog or something?

·
Premium Member
39,159 Posts
No, with the bigger MAF, the racer will support more power, but you definitely won't lose any power versus the Street.

I would get the racer.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
informative as always. Thanks very much.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Some people say that the smaller MAf makes a little more power. I think Nastystang saw like a 3 or 4 rwhp variance. But to me, that is a negligible amount considering the extra cost of the smaller one. Running the racer with it's 95mm MAF won't hurt anything, plenty of people do it, myself included. Car runs great.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I did place an order for the C&L racer and tuner on 12/5. Haven't got it yet and have not received a response to 2 different email queries.

I am aware that Doug is going through a lot of personal and business problems right now, but I'm starting to get concerned if my order will even be filled. Meaning, I guess, that I'm hoping his business isn't going under or something.

Has anyone else out there received any shipments from him lately or had any email or phone contact?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bamachips

Well I did place an order for the C&L racer and tuner on 12/5. Haven't got it yet and have not received a response to 2 different email queries.

I am aware that Doug is going through a lot of personal and business problems right now, but I'm starting to get concerned if my order will even be filled. Meaning, I guess, that I'm hoping his business isn't going under or something.

Has anyone else out there received any shipments from him lately or had any email or phone contact?
I ordered a C&L with SCT Xcalibrator 3 combo on 10/08/2009, and I did not receive it untill 11/17/2009. I e-mailed Doug expressing my concerns and he always replied, sometimes it would take him several days to respond, but he always did. I ordered mine and THEN found out about his problems, NOT a good feeling!! But in the end Doug delivered exactly what he said he would, and man let me tell you, everything you read about him is an UNDERSTATEMENT!!!!!! He brought my car ALIVE!! I would order from him again right this minute, without a doubt. All three tunes that he puts in the SCT are awsome!! Be patient and Doug will deliver, I have faith in him. I hope this makes you feel better.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
I'd recommend the C&L Racer. I say this for two reasons, the intake tube is made out of a composite plastic which is arguably better. It also looks much better compared to that metal silver intake tube that comes with the C&L Street. It also comes with a 95mm MAF tube which offers more power and more potential for more power in the future with other mods compared to the 85mm MAF tube.

As far as BamaChips, Doug is a great tuner but he's going through some personal issues lately and I've heard he's a little behind with things. Another good tuner to check out is VMP Tuning. VMP also offers packages with a SCT Xcal3, SCT Livewire, etc with a C&L Racer/Street.

Here's a dyno graph back when my car only had a VMP tune, C&L Racer, and SLP LMs (Muffler Deletes).

Than I added Steeda CMDPs, Steeda UDPs, and a O/R X Pipe.

Note:
  • Blue Plot is 93 Octane.
  • Red Plot is E85.

Some people say that the smaller MAf makes a little more power. I think Nastystang saw like a 3 or 4 rwhp variance. But to me, that is a negligible amount considering the extra cost of the smaller one. Running the racer with it's 95mm MAF won't hurt anything, plenty of people do it, myself included. Car runs great.
Back when the only mods I had were a set of muffler deletes, SLP LMs. I tested the C&L Racer's 95mm MAF tube and a VMP 88mm MAF tube with a tune. I gained 3 rwhp with the 88mm MAF tube over the 95mm MAF tube. Power was nearly the same between the 85mm and 95mm MAF tube. However, I think with a set of CMDPs or even a more free flowing exhaust that might be completely different.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ordered a C&L with SCT Xcalibrator 3 combo on 10/08/2009, and I did not receive it untill 11/17/2009. I e-mailed Doug expressing my concerns and he always replied, sometimes it would take him several days to respond, but he always did. I ordered mine and THEN found out about his problems, NOT a good feeling!! But in the end Doug delivered exactly what he said he would, and man let me tell you, everything you read about him is an UNDERSTATEMENT!!!!!! He brought my car ALIVE!! I would order from him again right this minute, without a doubt. All three tunes that he puts in the SCT are awsome!! Be patient and Doug will deliver, I have faith in him. I hope this makes you feel better.
Yes, it is good to hear. I will hang in there and hope for the best. At least it seems this isn't out of the ordinary. Thanks much for your response.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I

Here's a dyno graph back when my car only had a VMP tune, C&L Racer, and SLP LMs (Muffler Deletes).

Than I added Steeda CMDPs, Steeda UDPs, and a O/R X Pipe.

Note:
  • Blue Plot is 93 Octane.
  • Red Plot is E85.

Back when the only mods I had were a set of muffler deletes, SLP LMs. I tested the C&L Racer's 95mm MAF tube and a VMP 88mm MAF tube with a tune. I gained 3 rwhp with the 88mm MAF tube over the 95mm MAF tube. Power was nearly the same between the 85mm and 95mm MAF tube. However, I think with a set of CMDPs or even a more free flowing exhaust that might be completely different.
That's quite an impressive difference from your first dyno to your second one. How much of that do you think is attributable to just the UDPs? I ask this because I know I do not want UDPs - I don't want to reduce my A/C and I do have an aftermarket stereo.

·
IBEATU
5,919 Posts
Yes, it is good to hear. I will hang in there and hope for the best. At least it seems this isn't out of the ordinary. Thanks much for your response.
Doug is GREAT at what He does. He has had some personal isssues that he has been having to work through and has appologized multiple times on different forums. He will deliver he is just short staffed at the moment. Hang in there, you won't be sorry.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
That's quite an impressive difference from your first dyno to your second one. How much of that do you think is attributable to just the UDPs? I ask this because I know I do not want UDPs - I don't want to reduce my A/C and I do have an aftermarket stereo.
Figure the Steeda UDPs, Steeda CMDPs, and O/R X Pipe are all worth about 5 rwhp. As far as the A/C issue.. I live in Florida and could never tell a difference. It worked just fine! It's not like the UDPs of 10 years ago, these are designed properly. I'm also running an aftermarket stereo with no issues. I wouldn't hesitate to run them in your car.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good to know that the UDPs don't interfere with A/C and stereo. I'm in SC and it gets plenty hot here too.

In other news: was just having a conversation with Mrs Humphry about how great the pics and write-ups look for the new 2011. She says, "so are you going to get on of those now?"

I don't know about anybody else, but that almost sounds like permission to me to go ahead and do it without a fight. heh heh

So I told her that does sound attractive but I might want to just put some money into the '05 to build it up some. Always wanted to supercharge it. Time will tell.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.