Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How's it going?

Looking for a camshaft to be installing on my 1996 Mustang GT during the tax season, and I'm curious about cams that you guys and gals have used previously and the gains you experienced.

Car is going to remain N/A for the time being, and will be modifying intake system and heads as well.

Heads I'm planning are Trick Flow Specialties 44cc Twisted Wedge heads with 90lbs valve springs.

Camshaft I was looking into was the Comp Cam XE270AH, would I still need to upgrade valve springs with these heads since they come with 90lbs? or would you recommend going with the stronger valve spring option?

Would I need a stronger valve spring set up with the cams you recommend?

Thanks for any info in advance, I appreciate the help you've all given me in the past.

·
SleeperStang
3,924 Posts
hp292-shouldnt need stronger valve springs but it wouldnt hurt

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Im pretty sure those trickflows come with some beefy stuff but ask the cam company and see what they reccomend. I know for a fact that Hitech stage 2's show some of the best gains for street able cams in our cars. There is a guy running i think a 12.xx with them in his mustang which is pretty sick, the motor is like basically stock otherwise.

Those heads can handle some serious stuff so i would do alot of research. Check out the selection MHS has, they make some of the craziest race cams for 2v motors.

Keep in mind this is with a full suspension

·
Registered
586 Posts
have a friend thats selling some pi heads with comp 262s already installed in them up here in victorville ca...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If he still has them come Tax season, I may take them off of his hands. Budget is a little low because I'm moving to Ontario.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Trickflow heads are nice, and they make some nice cams also. If you go ahead with those heads, i recommend talking to them about what cams they'd suggest for your application and if you'd need to go with bigger springs. I have their blower cams and 125#springs gonna be going in some stage 2 heads.most cams will be somewhat comparable in price so just get what's best for you! A side note, while there, I'd also recommend new lash adjusters, unless yours are pretty new. Good luck

·
Registered
678 Posts
have a friend thats selling some pi heads with comp 262s already installed in them up here in victorville ca...
^^^This would be the way to go^^^

If you are just wanting to put cams in your NPI heads the selection is very limited. Comp 270's won't work with the heads. Comp does offer NPI specific cams though.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How much did your friend want for those heads?? Taxes should be coming in in the next few weeks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts