Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All-
Just joined the forum and I am looking for some advice from some more experienced people. I have a weekend 2002 GT that I play with with the following mods

Engine/exhaust
Stack Racing cold air intake
Stack Racing 75mm throttle body
C&L intake Plenum
BBK long tube headers
BBK under drive pulleys
BBK catted H-pipe
MSD Blaster Coilpacks
SLP loudmouth cat back
Diablo Sport predator tune

Exterior
03 Cobra front bumper
99 Cobra hood
Mach 1 grille insert
Shaved rear deck lid

Drivetrain
Roush short shifter
4:10 gears

Suspension
Eibach sportline springs
Koni STR.T struts
SVE upper and lower control arms
Stack Racing subframe connectors

My question is whether to keep up with the cams and nitrous build or go SC. I definitely want 400+ horsepower which I would have with the ZEX kit. Any have experience move from nitrous to a supervharger or vica versa?

I have the following parts towards the build-
Kenne Bell BAP
SVT Focus Fuel Pump
Edelbrock Intake Mainfold
03/04 39LB injectors
Comp cam springs and retainers (ordering cams)
Zex Nitrous Kit- 82023
bottle warmer -82006
Purge kit- 82175
Window switch -82085

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
I chose a supercharger. It is on demand power all the time. No bottles to refill.

I'm not running a BAP. I have the 255 lph SVT Focus pump. It seems to have been hit and miss. A lot of people have had to use BAPs with it. Instead of getting a pump that might not be sufficient and using a BAP to work around the problem I would suggest just getting on of the newer drop in 340 lph pumps.

Also, get the Lightning 42 lb. injectors instead of the Cobra 39 lb. injectors. The Cobra injectors are designed for two intake valves and have a inverted V spray. The Lightning green top injectors have a single spray for a single intake valve. They are ideal for a 400 rwhp application. I'm running them. Here is a video of the 39 lb. Cobra injectors. The Chevy guy running the test confuses them with the 42 lb. injectors. They are not the same. And you have to use an connect adapter to use the 39s.

Here is an old injector chart showing the difference.

If you choose a supercharger you will need to make up your mind on which type: twin-screw or centrifugal. There are advantages to both.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Sell the eldebrock intake. On a 400 hp build you will see no gain with that intake. You will lose torque with it. I would also sell the zex kit and get a better kit. My first set up had cams and a zex kit and made 358 on a 125 shot. The car made 270 on motor. Zex is the only company that rates thier shots at the flywheel and will only support up to 175 shot.I would go with a NX kit or nitrous outlet kit.

Reactions: trox27

·
Registered
982 Posts
If I were you I would try dumping the injectors, intake, and hold on to the NO2 stuff. (you never know if you might want to throw some juice on top of that supercharger :rockon)

Look for a used Vortech V1 V2 V3 any trim other than A trim, Paxton Novi 2000, or Procharger. This is a sure shot to 400+ whp that never needs a refill and gives you room to go big when you feel the time is right.

Build that motor get 16psi out of the charger and throw a 100 shot at it :3gears

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
I'd get rid of the intake and nitrous. Keep the springs for when you do cams. Make sure to get blower cams if you decide to get a blower. A smaller NA cam will also work with a blower, but wouldn't be full potential. Keep everything else. With cams and the blower you can potentially make 450-480rwhp on the stock motor and 10-12psi so the 39lb injectors would be getting close to their limit. I'd step up to 60's if that power level is your intention. I ran the svt focus pump, 40amp bap, and 39lb cobra injectors for 5 years daily driving with no issues. Car started out with 356rwhp on a non intercooled Vortech V1 S trim at 9 psi and moved up to 411rwhp intercooled at 12psi. You can look for the 42lb injectors with a single spray pattern if you want, but you won't be able to tell a difference. I'm going from dual spray 60lb injectors on my 4v to single spray 80's soon. Many have ran them without an issue and my tuner hasn't had a problem with them. I'm still a little hesitant on the 340lph pumps. Maybe they've improved but when they first came out people were having all sorts of fitment issues and pumps dying. Division X and Aem come to mind for a 320/340lph pump. I think DeatschWorks offers something now too.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I'd get rid of the intake and nitrous. Keep the springs for when you do cams. Make sure to get blower cams if you decide to get a blower. A smaller NA cam will also work with a blower, but wouldn't be full potential. Keep everything else. With cams and the blower you can potentially make 450-480rwhp on the stock motor and 10-12psi so the 39lb injectors would be getting close to their limit. I'd step up to 60's if that power level is your intention. I ran the svt focus pump, 40amp bap, and 39lb cobra injectors for 5 years daily driving with no issues. Car started out with 356rwhp on a non intercooled Vortech V1 S trim at 9 psi and moved up to 411rwhp intercooled at 12psi. You can look for the 42lb injectors with a single spray pattern if you want, but you won't be able to tell a difference. I'm going from dual spray 60lb injectors on my 4v to single spray 80's soon. Many have ran them without an issue and my tuner hasn't had a problem with them. I'm still a little hesitant on the 340lph pumps. Maybe they've improved but when they first came out people were having all sorts of fitment issues and pumps dying. Division X and Aem come to mind for a 320/340lph pump. I think DeatschWorks offers something now too.
Depending on what he can get for the NOS kit in comparison to what he paid for it would make my mind on keeping or selling it. Or if you really need the cash for the supercharger build. DeatschWorks has a direct fit 340 lph for our cars now. I have installed 2 of them they are awesome!!!!!!!! No cutting or anything but if your getting rid of your PPRV then you will still need to come up with a fuel line from pump to hat.

http://redirect.viglink.com/?format...le-Specific In-Tank Fuel Pumps - DeatschWerks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks! I'd probably sell the zex kit if I were to go with a vortech or Paxton- i think the kit should get me $5-600in return.

If i buy the 340LPH would I no longer need the KB BAP?

·
Registered
982 Posts
Thanks! I'd probably sell the zex kit if I were to go with a vortech or Paxton- i think the kit should get me $5-600in return.

If i buy the 340LPH would I no longer need the KB BAP?
I maxed my 340 Division X pump out at ~440 with 42 pound green tops. Probably could get more out of it with 60 lb EV6 injectors but I now have a BAP so I would hang on to it if your goal is to build the motor down the road.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
And what about my favorite--ProCharger? It comes with one of the best intercoolers on the market.

Reactions: GBPackerFan

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I started with nitrous....and now I have a procharger.

Learn from me....start with the Supercharger.

Everyone else has you covered.

·
Premium Member
3,389 Posts
Who the hell races under 4000rpm??

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Haha not opposed at all- still learning and doing my research!
Or do what I did and have the best of both worlds. Vortech blower and used Procharger 3 core intercooler. Now I would never pay the outrageous price that the coolers go for new. I got mine used for a steal. If you want a good intercooler without hacking up the front bumper support then the Procharger 3 core fits the bill. If you don't mind cutting into the bumper support or replacing it with a tubular crash bar then I'd look at Treadstone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok I decided to move to a supercharger set up- below with green checks are parts I've purchased or already had and red X are to be ordered- am I missing anything?

NGK TR6 V-Power plugs ✅
DeatschWerks 340 lph fuel
Pump ✅
42lb lightning injectors✅
CXracing 24"x12"x3" intercooler ✅
CXracing 3" piping kit ✅
Anderson Power Pipe ✅
Vortech oil feed assembly ❌
Vortech oil drain assembly ❌
90mm lightning Maf✅
Vortech V2 trim head unit❌
Vortech bracket assembly ❌
Vortech oil feed and drain ❌
Vortech mini race BOV ✅
Oil pressure and boost gauge✅

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Ok I decided to move to a supercharger set up- below with green checks are parts I've purchased or already had and red X are to be ordered- am I missing anything?

NGK TR6 V-Power plugs ✅
DeatschWerks 340 lph fuel
Pump ✅
42lb lightning injectors✅
CXracing 24"x12"x3" intercooler ✅
CXracing 3" piping kit ✅
Anderson Power Pipe ✅
Vortech oil feed assembly ❌
Vortech oil drain assembly ❌
90mm lightning Maf✅
Vortech V2 trim head unit❌
Vortech bracket assembly ❌
Vortech oil feed and drain ❌
Vortech mini race BOV ✅
Oil pressure and boost gauge✅
I would add a belt and age wideband.

are you planning to run this setup draw thru or blow thru

·
All **** All The Time
2,917 Posts
The way the cx piping comes I believe it's draw through
It’s is. And CX won’t ship the charge pipe without the bypass valve flange. You have to get a block off plate for that and weld on a flange for your slot style mass air. Or cut the pipe and run the insert pipe for the mass air.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
My ProCharger Cold Air Intake comes with a port for returned blow-off air. It does not have a draw-through MAF but the air is returned to reduce noise. I ended up venting the hose to atmosphere and plugging the port with an expandable plug from Advanced Auto. It works great.
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/c4/expansion-plug/11633

1 - 20 of 21 Posts