Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I sprained my ankle again twice in under a year. This time I was playing basketball in low top sneaker landed wrong heard a pop and bam instant pain. Foot was swollen instantly and I thought it was broke. X-rays clears of broken or fractured bones so just a bad sprain. They gave me ave wrap and an air cast but the cast won't fit in my work boots, so in looking to buy a ankle brace. It has to be low profile to fit into my work boots but still help my ankle heal. Any ideas of what brand I should get and what stores would sell them? Also I will be in the market if high top shoes if anyone has a suggestion. Thanks fellas. I can't post pictures from my phone but my whole side of the foot is back and blue and still swollen?

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
I dont know the brand or where to get them (other than ebay or amazon) but ive seen volleyball players wearing some sort of ankle brace. ASO or something? What kind of work do you do? You really shouldnt be walking on it, at all. Atleast no more than you have to. Even with a brace, id be VERY careful. Ive sprained both ankles, my right twice (tore a ligament the 2nd time and chipped the bone). Its no fun. But i was still in school so i didnt have to worry about work.

Good luck to you, and take it easy.

·
MM Official Sammich Maker
6,732 Posts
I ended up completely messing my right ankle because of low top sneakers.
Ripped the tendon off the bone and muscle in half, I had to have surgery on it to help repair some of the damage. (I also was playing basketball)

But the brace I wear slips over the ankle and it has laces going up the front to make sure its snug and supportive.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Rough to hear man, been there before on both ankles multiple times. The biggest thing is to not be on it, like I'm sure you know but if you gotta work you gotta work. There are compression socks that you can get that will help (and available at walmart, target, etc) but an actual brace will be needed before you can move down to that. I wish my ankles would have just broken. Typical heal times for a broken ankle are usually shorter then that of sprains. Hope it heals quick and make sure to see a doctor for exercises and movement that you should be doing with it to prevent growing scar tissue. writing the alphabet with your foot is good practice once you can move it without too much pain.

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
Recovering from a Grade III sprain here. Just was cleared to start playing soccer again a few weeks ago.

What's weird is they don't want me wearing a brace. The proper exercising and strengthening will be more effective than the brace. Now this may be for my case only, but if you keep rolling your ankle, and have never had your ATFL, PTFL, and CFL checked out than you probably should. Your ATFL is most likely stretched indefinitely; hence why you keep rolling it.

If that's the case, they'll have to go in there, cut it, and re-tighten it.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't been walking on it really since it happened on Sunday night . I called out of my double today but I need to go into work tomorrow. Unfortunately I'm an emt so I'm always on my feet. When I sprained it last year they gave me that shoe think with the laces too just never used it. Ill give my dr a ring and see what he says the er dr told me to use crutches for the first few days then weight bare as I'm able too. I have been popping ibuprofen and icing as much as I can. And lefty no I never had those checked out, did you have yours repaired?

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Ya, you should only need the brace for a little while, or till you can stand comfortably on it. Exercise is the best remedy. I find myself doing little leg lifts (standing on one leg, and lifting up using only my ankle).

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
I haven't been walking on it really since it happened on Sunday night . I called out of my double today but I need to go into work tomorrow. Unfortunately I'm an emt so I'm always on my feet. When I sprained it last year they gave me that shoe think with the laces too just never used it. Ill give my dr a ring and see what he says the er dr told me to use crutches for the first few days then weight bare as I'm able too. I have been popping ibuprofen and icing as much as I can. And lefty no I never had those checked out, did you have yours repaired?
Thankfully no, but there was a very high chance I would need it. All depeneded on how I took care of it. I was on crutches for a month and a half. Wasn't allowed to be on it AT ALL. All three of my ligaments were torn. I went through 6 months of physical therapy, 3 times a week. Happened back November 3rd.

Going to take another 6-8 months for it to "feel" right again.

·
aloha ke akua
13,177 Posts
I had a grade 3 sprain as well and I had to use a brace for soccer for a while. I'd recommend it over other after trying several. It's strong, but lightweight. Bledsoe Raptor ankle brace. Get the kind with the speed laces. Way less annoying.

---------- Post added at 12:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 PM ----------

Thankfully no, but there was a very high chance I would need it. All depeneded on how I took care of it. I was on crutches for a month and a half. Wasn't allowed to be on it AT ALL. All three of my ligaments were torn. I went through 6 months of physical therapy, 3 times a week. Happened back November 3rd.

Going to take another 6-8 months for it to "feel" right again.
Lefty, I have some good news to report to you! I'm 11 months and 10 days (roughly) into my injury and I can now play basketball without tape/brace. It's feeling a lot stronger. It still feels more susceptible to injury, but not "likely" to be injured.

Maybe that's some hope for you.

---------- Post added at 01:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 PM ----------

As for high top shoes, I'd suggest just picking up a quality pair of basketball shoes. Nike's or Adidas. I would think that'd be better than some others. I could be wrong on that part, though.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dam that sucks for both of you, im happy mines that that bad. how did you sprain it? or was it because you sprained the same ankle so many times it just blew out on you. here is a picture of my foot from Wednesday, the bruising has since moved up to the top of my foot and some on my shin.

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
That's probably a grade II, maybe grade III. Time to go to the ortho doc bud.

My ankle was literally all purple. More purple than Barney the dinosaur's foot. That's how bad mine was.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
great. swelling is around the same bruising has increased slightly. it doesn't hurt to walk much only if I put it in a certain position. just worked around 38 hours since Friday so ill see how I am tomorrow. hopefully by the end of the week it will improve if not I guess im calling the orhto

1 - 13 of 13 Posts