Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My motor is almost ready to be assembled just waiting to get the rotating assembly balanced. I have 30 over dss sx pistons, scat I beams, stock crank, arp rods, mains, and head bolts, and flo tek heads with 185 intake runners. I have a comp xtreme energy cam and lifters from last years motor but I'm thinking of going bigger now that I have larger valve reliefs. I'm thinking of a tfs2 cam. But my springs are only good for .550 which is right where that cam is. I don't mind going with new springs but don't know which ones to get.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
My motor is almost ready to be assembled just waiting to get the rotating assembly balanced. I have 30 over dss sx pistons, scat I beams, stock crank, arp rods, mains, and head bolts, and flo tek heads with 185 intake runners. I have a comp xtreme energy cam and lifters from last years motor but I'm thinking of going bigger now that I have larger valve reliefs. I'm thinking of a tfs2 cam. But my springs are only good for .550 which is right where that cam is. I don't mind going with new springs but don't know which ones to get.
Pick any of these people and you will be more than happy.

Chris Straub
Mike Jones
Ed Curtis
Bullet cams

Google any of them and you will get contact information. I would personally use Ed Curtis or Chris Straub for that.

Sent from my galaxy s II

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Jay Allen FTL Lol

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
If you are wanting an ots cam, then look at the tfs 3 as well. The two works well too, a similarly equipped engine as yours with the stage 2 and my portwork made 340 rwhp.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Now if I went with a stage 2 or 3 cam would my car run good enough without a tune to break in the motor?
Definitely. Multiple friends of mine had 306s like yours with aggressive cams and broke them in no problem. Just set base timing to 10 degrees and fuel pressure to 40psi with the vac line unhooked.

Break it in however your engine builder says to and then go get it tuned.

Sent from my galaxy s II

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Oh, you're local to him? That's awesome man. I'm sure you'll be more than happy with his tune. I wish I could have him do my work, but he's not close at all :lol

Sent from my galaxy s II

·
Registered
678 Posts
I wouldn't worry about what those springs are capable of. Flo tek is most likely straight from China and Chinese valve stuff is known for being paper weights.

Whatever cam you get I would get matching springs.

What comp cam do you have now?

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
Yeah good point^^^. You need to measure the existing springs inner, outer diameters and installed height and order them from trick flow if they are available.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hes not really local lol about 4 hour trip but oh well. I have to look at what cam I have now,but I know it has .512 lift. I want new springs for sure just dont know what the numbers mean as far as what lift they will support

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
If you have a set of calipers that read in inches, a valve spring comp, and the know how to use the stuff, I can talk you through it. If you have enoygh gas money and time, grab a friend one sat and bring a head to me and Ill do it for you.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Like I said... I wish I was closer to this guy ^^^^

Sent from my galaxy s II

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
x2 Never thought I'd want to vacation alone...to Ohio, lol.

+3

If you build it...... he will come

Oh wait, thats Iowa, never mind

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
Lol, thanks for the props guys. I live this ****, no better feeling than getting someones project on track and haulin ass.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts