Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 1968 coup with a 6cyl - 200 cc with a 3 speed.

Now I have done some research in the area of what it would take to convert it from a 6 to an 8 and also rebuild the 6 with some improvements pointed out be several web sites to get over some of the initial design flaws.

What I am wondering is if someone can give me a price range as to what I would be looking at doing a conversion to an 8. Or would I be better off just looking for another mustang that already has an 8 in it?

Or would I be better off hot rodding out the 6 since I already own it.

TIA

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Well I think you could swap in a roller block 302 and a T5 for not too much.

My car is already a V8 so take that into account but I got a complete roller block 302 engine from a wrecked 2000 explorer for $200, sold off the EFI and P heads for $250.

Bought 3 T5 transmissions with one bellhousing, 2 shifters for $150, sold extra 2 T5s for $120 (one was a 4 cyl model and missing an inpupt shaft, all needed rebuilt)

Doing the math there I actually came out ahead and now have a roller cam block waiting to be rebuilt and a T5 core that literally cost me nothing. I have looked at places and can get a rebuilt T5 for $800.

As for converting everything over to 8 cylinder specs we will need to know what rear axle you have, number of lugs. Have you looked the VIN up, was it originally a 6 cyl car?

CSRP sells brake kits, I have a power disc KH set-up from them and love it! I believe they have a kit that swaps over spinldes as well.

As forwhether you be better off finding a V8 car, what condition is your car in currently? These cars aren't getting any younger and finding one with a good solid body and tough. Might be better to convert your car if its in great shae otherwise.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
The issue with swapping from a six to a 302 is that you have to upgrade to a V8 suspension (shocks and springs) and braking system (spindles, tie-rods, drums or discs etc). You also will need new wheels as well (4 lug to 5 lug when you upgrade brakes). The exhaust must be redone, the accelerator linkage must be redone, the radiator needs to be upgraded. Motor mounts and motor mount brackets (the part that bolts to the shock tower) must be purchased. I'm sure I've missed somethings, but unless you have a donor car to get all of this off of, it adds up really quick. I bought a 6cyl car that someone had already done the brakes and suspension on, and still have several thousand in finishing the conversion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As for converting everything over to 8 cylinder specs we will need to know what rear axle you have, number of lugs. Have you looked the VIN up, was it originally a 6 cyl car?
The car is a pure 6 cyl. 4 lugs and all.

The car is in great shape, we purchased it about 3 years ago from a guy who was working on it but lost his job - wife told him the toys must go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, that is what I figured - it would not be cheap but just wondering how expensive are we talking a couple of thousand? More? This car is a pure 6 cyl, 4 lugs and all.

If I spend the time and shopped around and collected the parts as they came on the market I could save some money - of course I would need to know rear ends can fit the car etc. The suspension, I have seen on line along with new spindles - disk brakes for the front as well.

So in the end, If I stay with the 6, rebuild the engine - line bore, blue print and balance, machine the heads, polish and port, add a new aftermarket intake manifold, 2 bbl carb, headers, smaller starter, camshaft. That it will breath some new life into the car and still be fun to drive and only run me a little north of a grand.

·
Registered
22,813 Posts
The issue with swapping from a six to a 302 is that you have to upgrade to a V8 suspension (shocks and springs) and braking system (spindles, tie-rods, drums or discs etc).
Not on 67+. All you have to do for them is get v8 springs and a 5 lug setup. All suspension, steering, and spindles are the same for I6 and v8.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not on 67+. All you have to do for them is get v8 springs and a 5 lug setup. All suspension, steering, and spindles are the same for I6 and v8.

Interesting, I did not come across that in my research on doing a swap for a 68. So in your take then the only parts that need to be replaced are:

Rear end - 5 lugs (disk or drum)
Rear springs
Drive shaft
Front Springs
Front spindles 5 lugs - disk brakes
V8 engine, transmission
new exhaust

No modifications required to any of the components to work around the v8 engine?

·
Registered
22,813 Posts
Motor mounts
Frame mounts
Radiator
Front springs
V8 disc conversion kit
Driveshaft
8" rear end
v8 and transmission

Those are the main things

I can get a more detailed list when I get on a computer

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
Another option which may save you some money depending on your goals is to swap in a 250 or 300 I6 instead of a V8.

·
Registered
22,813 Posts
Another option which may save you some money depending on your goals is to swap in a 250 or 300 I6 instead of a V8.
250 with an Aussie head will bolt right up to a t5 and the current frame mounts. However a 300 is a big block 6 cyl and requires custom motor mounts to make it fit with the v8 frame mounts. It will also require a cowl hood since they are so tall.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
However a 300 is a big block 6 cyl and requires custom motor mounts to make it fit with the v8 frame mounts.[/color]
Wait... wouldn't the OP be working with the I6 frame mounts? Or are you saying that you have to go to modified V8 frame mounts?

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Here is CSRPs site with the frot brake kits for our cars.
Which front disc brake conversion is right for your car?

Some facts from another forum:

64-70 MUSTANG SPINDLE FACTS

1964-1966 6 cylinder spindles are all the same. Disc brakes were not offered on the 6 cylinders.
1964-1966 V8 drum and disc brake spindles are all the same.
1967 6 cylinder and V8 are the same. Drum and disc brake spindles are all the same.
1968 Drum and disc brake spindles are different. Drum spindles are the same as 1967.
1969 Drum and disc brake spindles are different. Drum spindles are the same as 1967-1968. Disc spindles are the same as 1968.
1970 Drum and disc brake spindles are different.

Dan @ Chockostang

·
Registered
22,813 Posts
Ok so now that I am on my computer I give a more detailed list.

1. disc brakes for the front. What Edgethis posted above is a good place. (I did the scarebird kit and it absolutely sucked)
2. 8", 9", or modified 8.8" with 5 lug brakes and axles. ( I got an 8" rear end for $100 at a parts swap)
3. V8 driveshaft for a classic mustang. One from a C4 automatic mustang is perfect (Got one at the same parts swap)
4. T5 5 speed transmission (Paid about $350)
5. Either a late model bellhousing and cable clutch conversion or a T5 spacer plate. (I went with a latemodel bellhousing and converted to clutch fork, wasn't worth the hassle IMO)
6. 302, 289, 351, etc engine that has a flywheel and not a flexplate
7. clutch if the engine doesn't come with one
8. frame mounts
9. motor mounts
10. T5 transmission crossmember
11. V8 radiator (Aluminum radiator is what I used)

When I did the swap the frame mounts and motor mounts were a royal pain in my ass to get them to line up and bolt together. Also if that engine has a serpentine setup you will want to ditch it for a normal v-belt setup. Also if you don't run a fan on the water pump pulley then you will need an electric fan.

·
Registered
22,813 Posts
Why is that?
It's big and you most likely wont use any of the parts. I know the one I had had the ac compressor, power steering pump, alternator, tensioner, and another compressor on it. I already had a custom mounted a/c setup and brackets for the alternator. So everything else was just in my way

EDIT: Here are some pics

What I took off.

End product

1 - 17 of 17 Posts