·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all
first post here
i have a 90 mustang gt
motor - 460ci - 557 hp

i bought the car and am now trying to make it handle better.

this thing is all over the place when driving.
not because of the power either.
just cruising it sucks...always have to correct the steering when driving.

when the car is sitting and i push on it on the front fender it sways back and forth really bad.
i would like to stiffen it up but dont know where to start.

any help / suggestions?
thanks

look forward to posting / reading on here.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
mine is the same way what shocks do u have on it.. i have koni adjustable drag shocks and they are extreamly soft it rides like a boat but hooks great..

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
See if the sway bars are still on the car, if not put some back on. A 460 in a fox isn't gonna do anything good for streetability as far as handling.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Mabe stiffer front springs, depending on alot of things, your 60' times may suffer from slightly to greatly. The best solution may be to check the balljoints, replace if worn at all, then get a good alignment. If your driving on the street with slicks, ET slicks, that can make for some "shady" driving on the street, depending on the road surface.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
if you dont mine me askin.....what did you have to give for it......its a pretty nice lookin car

·
Registered
910 Posts
^^^+1 Very nice car.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if you dont mine me askin.....what did you have to give for it......its a pretty nice lookin car
thanks
i bought the car off ebay for $5,000
it had a 460 in it.
brought it home and the cam went out.
so i said screw it and had a motor built (another 460 )
the motor was around $4,000
now im on to trying to get other things worked out.
im not to worried about 1/4 times as this is mainly my street car.

i have a video to show how it wobbles when pushed on...i will upload it and post it here.

yes i do have MT streets on it and they do have some wiggle to them (side to side) but i dont think it should be that bad after all people do run the at over 100 mph in the 1/4.
i could never do that with the way it handles now.

could the bushings in the rear control arms make it do this?

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
What springs are in the car? Stock 5 liter springs will be fine but if they are 4 cylinder or drag springs, they can cause the problems you describe especially with that much more weight in the car. Just by looking at the picture it looks like you have an Eibach drag launch spring kit in the car. If so I'd swap them out for some stock 5 liter springs. Have an alignment done as well. That will make a big difference if the toe is off. There is no reason it shouldn't handle just because it has a 460 in it. There are alot of Mustangs with 460 roaming the streets around here. As far as your ET streets go, pump them up to 30 psi when you run them on the street and they will handle just fine.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What springs are in the car? Stock 5 liter springs will be fine but if they are 4 cylinder or drag springs, they can cause the problems you describe especially with that much more weight in the car. Just by looking at the picture it looks like you have an Eibach drag launch spring kit in the car. If so I'd swap them out for some stock 5 liter springs. Have an alignment done as well. That will make a big difference if the toe is off. There is no reason it shouldn't handle just because it has a 460 in it. There are alot of Mustangs with 460 roaming the streets around here. As far as your ET streets go, pump them up to 30 psi when you run them on the street and they will handle just fine.
as far as i know the suspension is stock
it does have air shocks in the rear to clear the bigger tires.
i will try upping the tire pressure.
around 20 psi now.

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
as far as i know the suspension is stock
it does have air shocks in the rear to clear the bigger tires.
i will try upping the tire pressure.
around 20 psi now.

Those air shocks aren't helping the handling at all. What size are the tires? I don't understand why the air shocks are needed to clear the tires. You can fit a 28x10.5 slick or a 28x12.5 ET Street on a Mustang if you have the proper wheel and clearancing. Air shocks aren't going to do anything for handling or for traction. I would go check everything in the suspension so you know what you have. Instead of assuming everything is stock, crawl underneath and check it out. I'd get an alignment for sure but not until you get rid of those air shocks because they will put your front alignment out of whack if you change the air pressure in them.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Those air shocks aren't helping the handling at all. What size are the tires? I don't understand why the air shocks are needed to clear the tires. You can fit a 28x10.5 slick or a 28x12.5 ET Street on a Mustang if you have the proper wheel and clearancing. Air shocks aren't going to do anything for handling or for traction. I would go check everything in the suspension so you know what you have. Instead of assuming everything is stock, crawl underneath and check it out. I'd get an alignment for sure but not until you get rid of those air shocks because they will put your front alignment out of whack if you change the air pressure in them.
ive been under / over this car many times - lol
how do i know if they arent stock.
they look like rusty springs and standard shocks except the air shocks.
stock upper / lower control arms.

i would like to get rid of the air shocks as well but havent done anything suspension related yet.
my next project...thats why i was asking about this as i wanted a place to start.

thanks for the help.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I'm running bout 25psi in my ET streets at the track around 18psi and if you shake the car like you did in the video it does the same thing. It's the tires. Wrinkle walls will do that.

See if you could stick a buddy of yours wheels and tires off his mustang on your car then take it for a spin and see what happens. Make sure they are regular tires.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
yeah i could definitely see the tire side wall going back and forth.....i say ditch the air springs, get a good set of upper and lower control arms....and some adjustable coil overs front and rear.....and if you want get a tubular k member with tubular a arms

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Since you have the stock rear upper and lower, maybe the rear suspension is stock. If so, I would definitely look to see if there is any torque box modifications done. I see the rollbar so maybe it is connected down to the torque box area but check anyway. This has little to do with the handling problem you have but with that much torque and HP, you risk tearing out the rear control arms.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Since you have the stock rear upper and lower, maybe the rear suspension is stock. If so, I would definitely look to see if there is any torque box modifications done. I see the rollbar so maybe it is connected down to the torque box area but check anyway. This has little to do with the handling problem you have but with that much torque and HP, you risk tearing out the rear control arms.
no i dont have the torque box mods.

you can buy them and weld them in right?

any how to section on here for that?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts