Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I start searching can somebody tell me which generation is the best to own?
i.e. Aftermarket parts support, Ease to work on, Potential, Etc..

Thanks

·
Noob Slayer
2,447 Posts
too vague. how much do you have to spend? will it be your daily driver? do you want a sleeper or a show car? any goals? etc

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Before I start searching can somebody tell me which generation is the best to own?

Thanks
welcome to mm but like the previous post give us a price range and what your plans are for it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
if your looking for a drag car then probably a fox body is your best bet 87 - 93
if you want more of a show/street car than a 03 - 10 should work

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
for a drag car i would go with a 96-98 cobra, the perfect car for the strip.
This all going to be oppinion based, what you should ask yourself is what body style do you find more attractive, motors can be changed, and parts can be bought to fit whatever application you want. Its all in preference.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Also the amount of money makes a big difference. The 03-04 cobras are generally regarded as the best all round car aside from the 05+ machines.

What are your power goals? What kind of driving do you want to do, racing, drag, twisties? And finally money?

Generally the 96-98 GT unless you love the look are the worst years. They make less power and have less support, although a head swap takes care of the majority of that.

The 99-04 GT are the most common. There is ton's of support. But the power will never be the same as a cobra without some serious money spent. A few grand to play with the big boys.

The 99 Cobra is IRS instead of solid axle like the GT's, it is also a 4v instead of a 2v, however, it does not have a power adder like the 03-04 cobra's. The 99 is a great car, but not quite as much out of box potential as the 03-04 cobra, but more potential than the GT.

Any of these can be modified to do whatever you want ofcourse, the main thing is. How much performance do you want stock? How soon will you be able to do mods if you plan on doing them? What looks the best to you?

Don't buy an 96 because its cheap and you plan on modding it, if its going to take 3 years to afford moding it. Take the hit in your monthly payment and get a newer car that won't upset you with its performance. That being said, if you have $4k in cash to drop on the car after you buy it. Go for it, for 4K you can build it up to haul ass and depending on your direction, you can get a nasty suspension set up, or push the power a good bit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
um.. my budget isn't very high maybe like $5-7k for starters
this won't be my daily driver. I always wanted a Mustang and I particularly like the way the 89-91ish years look.
This will probably be just an occasional cruise car, HP expected can be anywhere as more power is always something everyone wants lol, Maybe a trackday car if it handles nice?

I'm not so much into drag racing these days

·
Genibus Nitito Canus
2,947 Posts

Thanks
all have pretty good aftermarket, all suck ass to work on, with enough $$$ all have the same potential

um.. my budget isn't very high maybe like $5-7k for starters
this won't be my daily driver. I always wanted a Mustang and I particularly like the way the 89-91ish years look.
This will probably be just an occasional cruise car, HP expected can be anywhere as more power is always something everyone wants lol, Maybe a trackday car if it handles nice?

I'm not so much into drag racing these days
id say get a 5.0 fox body then if u like them. they would be in ur price range (even for a super clean, low miles one) and have some play money left over

·
Registered
121 Posts
I got a 90 notchback and i love it. The 5.0 is a strong and dependable motor, and can be built fairly easy and somewhat cheap. The only reason i took mine out was because of those blocks will start puking rods around 500 hp. And i wanted something that was pushing over 800. But as for the car itself, i love it.

·
Genibus Nitito Canus
2,947 Posts
I got a 90 notchback and i love it. The 5.0 is a strong and dependable motor, and can be built fairly easy and somewhat cheap. The only reason i took mine out was because of those blocks will start puking rods around 500 hp. And i wanted something that was pushing over 800. But as for the car itself, i love it.
what all do u have to do to cram a 5.8 (351 cubic inches for those who dont know)

·
Registered
121 Posts
really not that much. Obviously you would have to change your motor mounts, and depending on wether or not you go carbed or fuel injection is what decides most of it. But you can use the same motor mounts for the 5.0, and if it had a modular motor then you need to go with the 5.0 crossmember too. And you would have to get a new tranny, you can use a stock t5 but it might not hold up if you really get on it. Then you will need headers, your exhaust made, and an oilpan that will work. Im goin with a 5.4, and hooking up the wiring harness and stuff aint easy. And im going from a automatic to a manuel tranny, so the clutch and all that **** is being added. And if you go with a 351, make sure all you want done to the engine is done before you put it in, b'c after there aint much room to work(found out from experience).

·
Registered
812 Posts
play around on carsoup, craigslist, and all those kind of sites, I always do when I bored, and you can find some sweet modded rides going for a great price

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oh man.. I thought I found the one!
clean 1991 5.0 notchback with spoiler and the cool body kit that has the fog lights
3rd owner 97k orig miles $3500
but..... AUTOMATIC! :mad:

time to keep searchin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts