Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After cruising around with some friends and not hearing my car at all, I want to do an exhaust. I don't think i can afford a full headers back exhaust so I'm thinking of getting Magnaflow High Flow catted x-pipe and muffler delete. My friend told me I would be losing performance with the cats and I should just do no cats and a catback system. I don't want something too too loud but enough to really hear the car. What do you guys think about a good exhaust set up for my 1996 GT?

·
The UPS guy
3,232 Posts
there is minimal loss in power between catted and non catted... i have on my car stock headers, bassani catted x pipe with bassani catback and it is loud as hell and louds great when you get on it... non catted or 'off road' mid pipes are cheapers and are alot louder but the performance loss is not even noticed...dont factor in 1-2 hp in your decision on it...

·
Registered
437 Posts
i have slp loud mouth 1 cat-back. i like it, its loud enough to get noticed, but not crazy loud till you get on the gas. :cool:

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
leave the mufflers in, it will be cery loud especailly with a magnaflow mid pipe. a mid pipe change will change the way you car will sound. the magnaflow mid pipes are great and the catted x's sound very very good!!! you are looking at single digit difference between the catted and non catted versions. stay leagal and get your performance with a catted mid pipe if you can afford it. if on a budget, i would look into a vrs x pipe as well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After talking over with the mechanics at the muffler shop they convinced me that a custom x pipe with one pair of high flow cats and some magnaflow mufflers was the way to go. Now it sounds great and I can feel a big power increase. It was a little over what i wanted to spend but it will be worth it instead of using factory mufflers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts