Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, im new to the forum, i have a question...its probably been asked billions of times but hey maybe it can help another newbie out lol..

so, I just bought a '00 Convertible v6 with 70k AUTO and im looking to do some slight modifications to increase its 190 stock hp. I know i should've gotten the stick shift but its too late now & im too lazy to be shifting up n down gears if im driving twisted one night.

ANYWAY... I was thinking about just adding an intake and dual exhausts. But I'm figuring it will only get up to about 210 hp if im lucky. So what are some other mods i can do that wont cost me too much $$. I know i can put different headers and change the flywheel and stuff, or supercharge/turbo but thats alot of money. So whats the most efficient & least expensive mod to achieve my goal? and will i need tuning?

Thanks for any tips/suggestions/advice!! You guys are the ****!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i actually took a look at that thread before i posted,, but im still torn between which mod will add the most horsepower. im not looking to completely customize my car with 5 or 6 different mods, i just want a little more speed a little faster. I WANT SOME RESPECT ON THE ROADS!! lol

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Lol I hear you bro.

Exhaust is pretty standard just to get a badass sound. You won't get a whole lot of power from it but you'll sound much better. If you want headers go long tube or stay stock.

Gears would be a good idea (4.10 for an automatic) because you'll get up and go faster. You'll lose top speed but you'll get off the line faster.

Under drive is twice as expensive for a sixxer than a v8 so I'd skip that if I was you.

CAI is generally a good idea. Ebay "Bomz" cais work fine unless you have your heart set on K&N or whatever.

Tlok is up to you but it's an addition I'm looking forward to. Right now if you stomp the gas your rear passanger tire is going to spin a lot more than your rear driver tire. Tlok will basically even out the power and give you better traction.

None of these mods are going to give a dramatic increase in power. Each one will add a little of it's own and it will all build up. If you want one mod with lots of power then a turbo/xcharger might be more your style but I think you already know they're quite expensive.

·
Registered
98 Posts
You can also get a tuner. :) I have a Diablosport Predator and love it :)

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
> Don't get diaBLOW tuner stick with SCT

Anyway, you have about 160rwhp right now, how much respect on the road do you want, and how much do you have to spend?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
First of all, if you wanted respect you shouldn't have bought a 6'er.
Second, you get what you pay for.
If you do exhaust you will gain next to nothing especially if you you are stock. Exhaust is really a sound mod until you get some better (more expensive) mods.
Intake will not really gain you much either, it's more of an eye candy mod since the intake on your car is actually pretty good. You could get a windstar upper intake kit for the price of exhaust. I would really recommend either gears or a tuner as your first mod. SCT seems to be the most common around the forums here, and second is probably sniper.

·
Registered
98 Posts
> Don't get diaBLOW tuner stick with SCT

Anyway, you have about 160rwhp right now, how much respect on the road do you want, and how much do you have to spend?
why not diablsport? :confused:

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I would recommend gears or a tuner too! If you are not looking to spend that much and the sound increase can wait I would definately get the underdrive pullies. They by far have made the biggest difference on my car. I could feel it more than the cai and dual exhaust together. They may be pricey but they are worth it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
what do under drive pulleys do exactly,, it looks like ill just be putting a cai, flowmaster dual exhaust from american muscle and a tuner...

i dnt wanna sacrifice my top speed wit the gears,, or maybe i should... could help me in the long run with speeding tickets if i know i cant max out

and as for the under drive pulleys... wats it purpose??

·
Admanistrator
13,320 Posts
Heads, cams, & intake would be safe with 70k miles, and still get you good power gains.

Look at Super Six Motorsports.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Underdrive pullies are a smaller replacement crank pulley. This means that for each revolution of the crankshaft(the only driving pulley) the belt doesn't move as far, which results in less power being used to drive accessories like the alternator and water pump excessively. And gears will not reduce your top end...Yes, in theory they will, but you're never going to be able to get your car to redline with 3.73s or 4.10s. With 3.73s your theoretical top speed would be around 180...not gonna happen. Or even 160 with 4.10s.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
the only way you will have to worry about top end is if you have f/i motor with some serious power, otherwise i would highly recommend getting gears. they will give you the biggest bang for your buck. along with underdrive pullies. the pullies on my car seemed to make a pretty big difference, and he explained above what they do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks guys! ive decided im gonna go with the 410 gears, tlok, cai, and exhaust & i guess i have 2 get a tuner also because of all the mods... lol damn thats a DENT in the wallet but im sure ill be pleased with the outcome

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
ya you will be really pleased. trust me! the tuner for the auto will make a huge difference. I do not know because I have a manual but that is what everyone said. You could always ask for one of them for Christmas lol like the cai that would be cheapest. Every little helps :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts