Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
No longer Maching out...
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I think it's time to start thinking about a new motor and I'm wanting something with a little more **** to it...I've been looking for some different ideas and I've looked through alot of the 3v and 4v swaps and I don't want to spend a whole lot of money on swap...I'd like to find a motor with lower miles and then go from there...I found a mkviii motor w/ 50k on it that's not too far away and the guy wants $350 for it so I've been looking pretty closely at it...It comes with the harness and everything, so I'm leaning that way...People keep telling me to just sell mine and get a mach or cobra, but I've got mine looking the way I want it so that's out of the question...I just want to swap motors:)

·
I wanna SPRAY!
7,461 Posts
Personally I would go with the three valve motor. It has an aluminum block and the heads flow alot better then the 2valves. It only has two cams also so they will be cheaper to replace then a four valve. The three valve won't take up as much space under the hood as a four valve motor will either. Unless you're just going for maximum horsepower I don't see any advantages of having a four valve over the three valve. I know it would also be easier for me to find a three valve motor.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Personally I would go with the three valve motor. It has an aluminum block and the heads flow alot better then the 2valves. It only has two cams also so they will be cheaper to replace then a four valve. The three valve won't take up as much space under the hood as a four valve motor will either. Unless you're just going for maximum horsepower I don't see any advantages of having a four valve over the three valve. I know it would also be easier for me to find a three valve motor.
+1 its what im going to do.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
A 50,000 mile Mark VIII for $350 is pretty cheap especially since it come with wiring harness and everything. I'm an advocate of the 3v swap but I'm not sure I'd turn that down.

·
No longer Maching out...
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A 50,000 mile Mark VIII for $350 is pretty cheap especially since it come with wiring harness and everything. I'm an advocate of the 3v swap but I'm not sure I'd turn that down.
I know man...it's really hard to say no to it...but I'm still looking around, any ideas on where else I could look for a motor?

·
Sarcastic Sally
3,352 Posts
I heard it harder to swap in the 3V because you have to replace the ECU and harness and such, im not too sure, but I remember something of the sort....

·
No longer Maching out...
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I heard it harder to swap in the 3V because you have to replace the ECU and harness and such, im not too sure, but I remember something of the sort....
That's true too...but if I switch to a mkvIII motor I'd have to switch it anyways...It'd be a hell of a lot easier if you didn't have to

·
Sarcastic Sally
3,352 Posts
Negatory, 4V Mark VIII motors work with the factory 2V harness and ECU just once you get to a higher number like 350+ you just need a simple tune and your harness and ECU is still good to go:D

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Not true at all. You use the 2 v harness and the 2v ECU. It fits right in. Wiring harness and all. You need to use the 2v COPs and the 3v boots. The biggest problem with the 3v swap is the stock hood won't fit. Thats the shits. It fits your motor mounts, with the Logan Sport adapters you can use you 2v exhaust ( not true of a 4v swap). You will need a Cobra throttle body to replace electronic stuff, and a cam lock out (all of $50).

There have been several members do this swap, check them out.

·
Sarcastic Sally
3,352 Posts
Oh see I had heard different...welp if thats true, more powah to ya, but 3V are rare around here and a helluva lot more expensive than B head 4V...

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Like I said, if you can get a Mark VIII for $350... that's a good deal. But puttin in a 3v is not suppose to be that har either.

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
3v IMHO...4v is great but heavy and cost more.

A ported 3v head with valves and cams it will move so air...their hp numbers with 8-10psi match the 96-01 Cobra numbers.

edit: i'd take a Mach1 motor all day long

·
No longer Maching out...
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not true at all. You use the 2 v harness and the 2v ECU. It fits right in. Wiring harness and all. You need to use the 2v COPs and the 3v boots. The biggest problem with the 3v swap is the stock hood won't fit. Thats the shits. It fits your motor mounts, with the Logan Sport adapters you can use you 2v exhaust ( not true of a 4v swap). You will need a Cobra throttle body to replace electronic stuff, and a cam lock out (all of $50).

There have been several members do this swap, check them out.
well I'll be damned...lol and I already have a different hood so I'm safe...I might look more into the 3v motors if this other motor falls through for some reason, but I'm still pretty excited about finding one for $350...I had no clue the 2v stuff worked with the 3v, that could give me a whole different route to follow...

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts

A ported 3v head with valves and cams it will move so air...their hp numbers with 8-10psi match the 96-01 Cobra numbers.

And looks like I've stirred up another 3v vs 4v debate. :potstir

But for what he's asking for that MKVIII motor you can't go wrong.

·
I wanna SPRAY!
7,461 Posts
Yea $350 for a good running 4 valve motor is hard to pass up.

·
Sarcastic Sally
3,352 Posts

Just curious, why would you take a Mach 1 motor over a MarkVIII motor? They are both cast internals the only difference is the intake cams and manifold right?

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Just curious, why would you take a Mach 1 motor over a MarkVIII motor? They are both cast internals the only difference is the intake cams and manifold right?
Mach 1 has a much higher compression ratio, 5spd versions have a forged crank, and the 03+ C heads flow much better than the MKVIII's B heads. Intake and cam are also better.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
What he said plus they have an aluminum block so shaves a decent amount of weight of the front end.. And the only thing id be worried about is getting a 15 year old engine.. If i got that i would want to really freshen it up alot so that adds to the price factor. Good thing about a 3v is you can find some really low mile ones and there alot newer..

1 - 20 of 35 Posts