Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 mustang 3.8 and I'm bored. I want a little more power to have fun with and to **** with annoying Honda enthusiats in my home town. What is cheap and effective at bumping the horses in this sixxer?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
how about a bbk 56mm throttle body? i get a 20% discount through my job on some **** but summit still can beat it at times. heres my thoughts cai posibly the bbk? and the under drive pulleys both of which i can get at my job a racing mid pipe to switch back and forth? i dunno whats better to leave it single exhaust and just swap back and forth for smog or go duals? maybe some headers. now as for a tuner should i be chipping it or getting a programmed tuner and as for gears whats a good gear for all around that isn't going to eat all my mileage?

·
Registered
806 Posts
how about a bbk 56mm throttle body? i get a 20% discount through my job on some **** but summit still can beat it at times. heres my thoughts cai posibly the bbk? and the under drive pulleys both of which i can get at my job a racing mid pipe to switch back and forth? i dunno whats better to leave it single exhaust and just swap back and forth for smog or go duals? maybe some headers. now as for a tuner should i be chipping it or getting a programmed tuner and as for gears whats a good gear for all around that isn't going to eat all my mileage?
get a SCT program tuner.

gears, T-lock, 25% UDP, short throw shifter if manual, Roller rockers, CAI.

after gears and T-lock, work your way from the front of the car to the back. start with engine mods.

and honestly if you have the money a splitport swap would be the best.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so what all do i need off a split port car to do a conversion i cna do it all myself i just need a parts list adn if i go pull and machine the parts myself what are would the total cost be? also will it work with california emisions? whats the best set of UDP the bbk set? and as for the tlok just go with the ford? the cars my DD and i drive about 35 miles daily on my commute so i dont want radical gears but possibly the 3.55?

·
Admanistrator
13,320 Posts
You want at least 3.73 gears.

Nitrous would be nice too:yes

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
get a SCT program tuner.

gears, T-lock, 25% UDP, short throw shifter if manual, Roller rockers, CAI.

after gears and T-lock, work your way from the front of the car to the back. start with engine mods.

and honestly if you have the money a splitport swap would be the best.
roller rockers? does that make a big difference? jc.
and I know what they are but I have never taken apart one of our 3.8s before.
and definately the gears and tuner for your car. I believe the 97 have 2.73 stock so the 3.73 would make a huge difference. At least that is what the 97 gt has i believe correct if im wrong. And the tuner if you have an auto makes a big difference.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
its a stick so ill be getting tuner gears and short throw shifter asap but i dunno if im going split port because i still need more info on it. how much will 3.73 change my millage?

·
Registered
806 Posts
roller rockers? does that make a big difference? jc.
and I know what they are but I have never taken apart one of our 3.8s before.
and definately the gears and tuner for your car. I believe the 97 have 2.73 stock so the 3.73 would make a huge difference. At least that is what the 97 gt has i believe correct if im wrong. And the tuner if you have an auto makes a big difference.
Roller Rockers are one of the best bolt-on mods i did. Combined with a 25% UDP is alot of gain for the money.

·
Registered
806 Posts
so what all do i need off a split port car to do a conversion i cna do it all myself i just need a parts list adn if i go pull and machine the parts myself what are would the total cost be? also will it work with california emisions? whats the best set of UDP the bbk set? and as for the tlok just go with the ford? the cars my DD and i drive about 35 miles daily on my commute so i dont want radical gears but possibly the 3.55?
3.8mustang.com and v6power have splitport swap write ups you can read.

I liked my ASP underdrive pulley system. BBK should work as well.

3.73's - manual

4.10's - auto

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
i am not a hundred percent sure because i have not installed mine. on the interstate you will prolly lose like 1-2mpg depending on your speed. in town you may gain some because you may be able to be in a higher gear.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i dont want to run nitrous i want a continuous hp rating so i can have fun driving and not have to rely on a chemical to do it

1 - 20 of 24 Posts