Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so when i start the vehicle in the morning my oil pressure goes up just fine....Ill put it in reverse and start driving and than all the sudden bamn it just drops and doesn't come back for alil while...Ill be driving the more gas than it will come back than ill put it in neutral at a light than it will drop again...Ill get on the highway and it will still be down go about a min or so than bamn its right bak up....Do i got a leak sumwere maybe sumtin isn't connected right or tight enough? or could it just be the gauge/senor is bad if you can please help....I mean i don't notice the car knocking or anything it drives just fine but not sure why it keeps doing that even after a fresh oil change it will do :facepalm:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No i haven't....I mean there is no knocking or anything but just when its cold and first starts up it comes right up than bamn drops to nuttin....ill be driving and it goes up than goes down...but once it warms up it is fine

·
I LIKE CARS AND SH!T
160 Posts
Probably just the sensor, OR your oil level is low. When i had my white 98 my oil pressure dropped to the peg, i shut the car off immedietley and added some oil, it wasnt even low, probably just under half. But when i added it it went back to normal and never had a problem again.

·
I like boobs!!!
3,869 Posts
Agreed with the possible bad sensor. It's not even really a sensor either, it's a switch designed to show you have oil pressure on you factory pressure gauge as soon as it senses 6psi. I would recommend getting a real oil pressure gauge. If, God forbid, you're beating the crap out of your car and you are only at 7psi, your factory gauge is giong to just sit there in the middle like it always does giving you a false sense of security.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Agreed with the possible bad sensor. It's not even really a sensor either, it's a switch designed to show you have oil pressure on you factory pressure gauge as soon as it senses 6psi. I would recommend getting a real oil pressure gauge. If, God forbid, you're beating the crap out of your car and you are only at 7psi, your factory gauge is giong to just sit there in the middle like it always does giving you a false sense of security.
+1 :yes

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
id put an autometer mechanical gauge in it. i seen people blow engines from loss of oil pressure and the stock gauge never moved.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well chit that sux.......i was hoping it would be just the switch like pple are saying its been doing this for about a month now and didn't know what the hek it was...i mean the car is running fine and all but yeh like you said it would suk if it isn't getting enough and than bamn motor is gone ill go have the checked out

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
It is most likely the oil pressure switch. I had to change mine last year. If it were the oil pressure pump you would most likely be buying a new motor. As others were saying. It's a switch not a sensor. It has only two outputs. On (the needle on the gauge is in the middle) or off (the gauge reads zero). It's fairly inexpensive. Around $10 if I recall. And it's really easy to change. It's located by the oil filter. If you have one wire going to it you have the '99 oil pressure switch. If you have two wires going to it you have the 2001 switch. Ford changed design mid-year. My 2000 GT has the 2001 switch.

I imagine that the reason Ford put in switch instead of a sensor is because most people don't know how oil pressure works and they didn't want to deal with the service calls.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
I hate to kinda tread jack, but my search doesn't work on the phone :bash: but since this is lol related, can anyone confirm or deny that 0w30 oil is good for our cars? And is 6 qts too much, not enough or perfect?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Yes I can but you already knew that. I have a 2000 but I have been told that your owners manual says to use 6 quarts. Mine says 5 quarts. As you know I'm an advocate of 0w30 full synthetic oil. But you don't have to believe me. Here are my references.

Oil
Motor Oil 101 - Bob is the Oil Guy

My opinion is you should use 6 qts of Mobile 1 0w30. But others have other opinions. Mine are based on the above references. I use 6 qts of Mobile 1 full synthetic 0w30 even though my owner's manual says to use 5 quarts.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Yeah, I honestly forgot what everyone was saying about what kinda oil to use on my last oil thread a few months back, I was just trying to confirm. I went to Walmart and picked up 6 qts of Mobil 1 0w30 yesterday :yes

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
808 Posts
I had a excursion v10 that did this same thing. Oil pressure would drop to near zero and scare the **** out of ya. No motor knock and she was at the full mark. Did it a few times. Must have been a glitch somewhere as its still running fine to this day.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I imagine that the reason Ford put in switch instead of a sensor is because most people don't know how oil pressure works and they didn't want to deal with the service calls.
So where does your indicator run at on the oil press gauge?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
not sure why but it is every single morning or at least now that it is cold but as soon as she is on or warms she is back to normal no knocking still but when it is warm outside it is right to normal

1 - 20 of 21 Posts