Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not good right? I'm losing antifreeze like crazy and I can see it on the bottom of the frame rail. I'm wondering if im just losing that much from overheating and it boiling out the overflow tube? I know I have a slight leak at the waterneck which i'm going to swap out with a new one being it's a chrome neck. Do you think a thermostat going out would do this, maybe it's sticking open and not circulating. It's possible it's the radiator too, not to mention I dont have a fan shroud.

ps. the exhaust gas smells like nothing but burnt fuel, no antifreeze smell detected. Doesnt' look like any in the oil on the dipstick either.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea the damn exhaust makes my eyes water. I just got the carb tuned today and it really brought out the cam in the motor. The guy told me it was a mild cam and with the carb tuned we found out it's a little more then that.

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
Yeah I hear you. I've never owned an actual video camera, although the digital still camera I now own shoots pretty high quality video.

If you don't own a digital camera, it might be worth looking in to if you're on a bidget. Kill two birds with one stone sorta thing.

·
Registered
142 Posts
firstly if the thermasta was open all the time the car would take a long time to get warm. stuck close i could understand. now i would look around your radiator. check the sodor that keeps the two well tanks to the radiator. if you see moisture then you need a new radiator. Now for the fan shroud, i would get one it helps cool the engine down by maybe 10 or so degrees. good hunting to you bub on your problem

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well it does take forever for the car to get warm, then again it's 20 degrees around here. I'm seeing moisture down on the rail where the rad. sits but I think thats just from the bubbling out the overflow line. The damn A/C condensor (which is junk) is in the way and I cant see ****.

·
Tree Fiddy Z
2,040 Posts
Hopefully it's just a hose that's busted. If you haven't already, look for a "pregnant" hose. It'll have a huge bubble. If you can't find the source of the leak by a visual inspection, then do the pressure check and find out where it's coming from. When I had a leak, it was from my radiator. Coolant spewed like water when you tighten your lips and squeeze the water out. I was like "fuuuuuuuuck". That was an expensive fix. BTW this was on my 1st car...my oldsmobile.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Well I wont mind spending 400 dollars on a new radiator that I already priced out from CJ pony parts which is only like 20 minutes from me. It's just that I really dont want to if I dont have to. I looked for a hose, only ones near where there is fluid is the top and bottom and they both look ok unless it's a slit.

I wish the thing would have just spewed at my face, at least I would have seen where it was coming from.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts