Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do cars lose horsepower just from being old over time? One of my friends told me that my car probably lost a ton of horsepower by now so I was wondering if this had any validity

·
Keep Moving Forward
1,006 Posts
I doubt you've lost a ton of horsepower as long as you've kept up the maintenance.
I would assume maybe a 5-10hp lose at the most, assuming a high mileage car that has been thrashed on. But I don't have facts, that's just an assumption.

·
aloha ke akua
13,177 Posts
The older the car gets, it won't pull as hard as it once did. You'll notice it a bit the more the car is driven. Not going to be a huge difference with proper maintenance, though. I don't know if it is technically a hp loss.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
If there is a loss of power, it is very small, maybe 10% at the most. I've seen a stock 96 GT with 180k miles on it run about 130mph on the highway.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
If there is a loss of power, it is very small, maybe 10% at the most. I've seen a stock 96 GT with 180k miles on it run about 130mph on the highway.
Well, that really doesn't mean much.

Cars only lose hp drastically if they aren't maintained well or are very old and were beat on. But unless you have never changed your oil, it's highly unlikely you lost any more than 5 hp. So tell your friend to put his words back where he found them...his ass.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
10% would be 26 peak fwHP--a 4.6L 2V that lost 26 HP would be trash.

With proper maintenance and properly tuned the engine should lose no power in 150k miles, and maybe 2% to 3% over the next 150k

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
I dont beleive cars loose HP over time IMO they gain a little power after the motor properly breaks in, the rings set, and the valve train settles. If your rings are worn then yes you can loose a little compression thus causing power loss. and of course dirty injectors, faulty emmisions components ETC can cause a power loss. If your car has been properly maintained then it is just as good as it was when you got it.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
^+1 this is so, also as the bearings mate up internal friction is reduced letting more of the increased output make it to the flywheel...

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Tons.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
A properly maintained car will loose very little power. My car dyno 385 rwhp when the supercharger was put on at 80,000 miles. About 18 months ago at around 150,000 miles it dynoed 383 rwhp. Granted they were different dynos but I don't believe there has been any power loss

1 - 10 of 10 Posts