Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright i need another opinion on this. Ive been wanting to upgrade the exhaust on my 09V6 to true dual with an x-pipe but all the exhaust shops keep looking at me like im crazy. They keep telling me v6's are ricy which i know is bull cause ive heard some great v6 stangs, most of them just dont give it a chance cause its not a v8 :mad: . they keep telling me to do a y pipe to two mufflers which defeats the purpose of the two mufflers, might as well just have one. The other reason, the one thats keeping me from going through with this is they keep telling me that with the x pipe i will lose too much back-pressure and in doing so i will lose a significant amount of torque while gaining hp. i honestly only need so much hp cause im not doing top speed everyday, but im a hard accelerator and do alot of street driving in a day so i love my torque, is there any truth to this statement and if so is the loss noticeable, is there a way to avoid it that these knucklehead v6 downers are not aware of?

·
Registered
597 Posts
you may lose a little back pressure, but definitely not a noticable amount by going dual exhaust with either an X or H pipe. I personally wouldn't waste my money on a y conversion to axle backs.

I will say this though, it definitely depends on the mufflers you chose. I have GT take off mufflers on mine, and had the opportunity to put MAC mufflers on mine for free. I noticed a huge loss in back pressure ( not good for the v6! = turtle like performance). Mufflers sounded awesome from the outside, but the interior drone was horrible, and the huge loss of back pressure wasn't worth it IMO.

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Also go to a different shop.
This. Tell that shop to go **** themselves and find someone who will do what you want them to. You're paying them, you get what you want. As far as torque, you will probably lose a little low end torque. Don't upgrade the pipe size if you don't want to lose too much back-pressure.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
The belief that a car needs a given amount of backpresure is a common misconception made by people who don't know much about cars or exhausts. Backpressure is always bad in exhaust. Its not the loss of back pressure that moves the power band, and gives you the impression of lost HP. It's the loss in the velocity of the exhaust gasses travelling through your exhaust. You engine would make more HP on a dyno with open headers than it would compared most exhuast systems. Your exhaust should be built according to how you want the engine tuned. (what RPM you want your power). It's possible to design a lossless exhaust system. Takes a bit of knowledge and math but it's definitely possible.

·
Registered
160 Posts
i went all out. i have 2.5" true dual with no mufflers, lt headers, pypes high flow cats and exhaust cut outs. just make sure you tune for it and you will see the difference.

·
Registered
597 Posts
The belief that a car needs a given amount of backpresure is a common misconception made by people who don't know much about cars or exhausts. Backpressure is always bad in exhaust. Its not the loss of back pressure that moves the power band, and gives you the impression of lost HP. It's the loss in the velocity of the exhaust gasses travelling through your exhaust. You engine would make more HP on a dyno with open headers than it would compared most exhuast systems. Your exhaust should be built according to how you want the engine tuned. (what RPM you want your power). It's possible to design a lossless exhaust system. Takes a bit of knowledge and math but it's definitely possible.
I am not going to dispute what you say, all i can talk about are my experiences with the MAC's and loss of back pressure. I felt a big loss in performance, maybe because I was used to my tune and having the torque down low and the power that went with it. My performance is/was better with the GT mufflers and thats what I'm sticking with. Each to his/her own.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
dude go to a different shop. never in my life have i ever been to an exhaust shop where they told me they werent going to do what I WANTED done and if they ever argued with me i would tell them to go **** themselves and find a different shop. and as far as losing torque by going true duals, if you lose any it wont be noticeable. i have a gt h pipe with hollowed cats and 2.5 inch pipes all the way back to a set of flowmaster ATs and i didnt notice anything but gains in power and torque

1 - 9 of 9 Posts