Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was getting into it some and then lost power steering. Pulled over shut it off and popped the hood and the belt is gone was gone. Why would the belt ha e snapped? was the belt to tight?

·
Full Frontal Nudity
1,725 Posts
It could be a few things that caused it to toss the belt. The tensioner could be on the way out. Pulleys could be out of alignment. Belt could have just been bad. Are you running 6 rib or did you switch to an 8 rib setup?

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It could be a few things that caused it to toss the belt. The tensioner could be on the way out. Pulleys could be out of alignment. Belt could have just been bad. Are you running 6 rib or did you switch to an 8 rib setup?
I just found the belt and it's snapped. I have the stock 6rib setup for now

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
What size belt and what size pulley?

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What size belt and what size pulley?
The belt is 107.3" and the stock pulley which is a 3.5 I believe. The belt was real hard to get on in the first place so I think it was just to tight

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
i saw the title of this thread and i was expecting it to be an awesome, one night stand type of story where you had to get dressed in a hurry and forgot it.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
The belt is 107.3" and the stock pulley which is a 3.5 I believe. The belt was real hard to get on in the first place so I think it was just to tight
Wow that seems really short. When I was running a stock size dampner and before my AC delete & RR manual tensioner - I was running a 108" belt with a 2.80" upper pulley. Mine is a 1 bolt tensioner. Is yours a 3 bolt? 107.3" seems way short - but you did manage to get it on so it can't be that far out of whack. It does seem short though

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
A 108" on a 2.8? That's pretty big. I'm running a 106.6" with my 2.87 pulley fits great. Could be alittle shorter too. Like 106.2 would be perfect.

Op, if I had to guess, I'd say replace your tensioner.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
I'm usng a Gates 107.55" K061075 on a 3.33 pulley and it is a nice tight fit. A 107.3" on a 3.5 pulley must be extremely tigh to the point where it was probably maxing out the tensioner. The 107.55 on a 3.5 would be a very tight fit. With a 3.6 I was using a 108.14" K061080. I say replace the tensioner with a Dayco tensioner. Your only options are a 107.55 K061075 or 108.14 K061080.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A 108" on a 2.8? That's pretty big. I'm running a 106.6" with my 2.87 pulley fits great. Could be alittle shorter too. Like 106.2 would be perfect.

Op, if I had to guess, I'd say replace your tensioner.
I had the tensioner replaced when the engine was built. I am almost positive that the belt was just to short and was maxing out the tensioner.

I'm usng a Gates 107.55" K061075 on a 3.33 pulley and it is a nice tight fit. A 107.3" on a 3.5 pulley is very tight. The 107.55 on a 3.5 would be a very tight fit, but would work. With a 3.6 I was using a 108.14" K061080.
I bought a gates 108.14 belt and will be putting that on probably next weekend. I am hoping that it will fit fine. Is there any difference in the gates belt and vortech belt I already had?

Is there anyway of putting the belt on without pulling the supercharger its self off?

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
I had the tensioner replaced when the engine was built. I am almost positive that the belt was just to short and was maxing out the tensioner.

I bought a gates 108.14 belt and will be putting that on probably next weekend. I am hoping that it will fit fine. Is there any difference in the gates belt and vortech belt I already had?

Is there anyway of putting the belt on without pulling the supercharger its self off?
Gates makes the belts for Vortech. You have to loosen the supercharger bracket and pull it away from the engine.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
If you had to run it over a pulley rim to get it on then that is why it snapped, running a poly-V belt up and over a pulley edge will damage/break the belt's backbone belts...

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gates makes the belts for Vortech. You have to loosen the supercharger bracket and pull it away from the engine.
oh ok I didnt not know that about the belts. Thats what I thought I would have to do. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
Every single belt i put on I burn the edges with a flame to remove any loose factory threads that may be hanging out of the sides. I have seen these threads over time become the culprit on many belt failures over the years, and people dont even realize thats what happened. I have changed more then 1000 Belts in my past and have always used this Tecnique. As far as your belt being to tight I dont think so as the factory tensioner sets the belt torque, now you do need to inspect the tensioner to make sure its doing the job properly. you can check the tensioner by reving the throttle and watching the tensioner to see if it wabbles under a load, it is not supposed to move much under a load. If your tensioner still moves while on the throttle replace it. I know this is expnsive, But on my car everytime I swap the belt I replace the tensioner that 30 dollars is well worth the protection the 60 dollar investment i just made on my belt. Also your tensioner should be about 1/4 inch to no more then 1/2 from the stop on the tensioner if it is not within this range your belt is too small. here is where it should be.

·
Registered
142 Posts
oh ok I didnt not know that about the belts. Thats what I thought I would have to do. Thanks!
Kris. Remember we didn't slip the belt over the ribs, we slid the back of the belt over the waterpump pulley.

Also, we all throught it was to tight because the tension pulley was maxed when installing the belt but this was our first install and we have learned from our mistakes.:)

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
I may do a video when i get back home of how i pull back the tensioner to install a belt. I use a pipe wrench to pull back the tensioner while i install the belt it take me like 60 Seconds. its a bitch with the Vortech, but I have amethod to make life very easy.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
you can check the tensioner by reving the throttle and watching the tensioner to see if it wabbles under a load, it is not supposed to move much under a load. If your tensioner still moves while on the throttle replace it.[/IMG]
+1 Yes. And belts stretch. I have had a recent oil leak problem (I thought it was the crank main seal but it was the bolt) It sprayed oil everywhere. When I first put my belt on it was extremely tight. Now it is very easy and the tensioner is jumping. I gotta get a new belt. And I know the ramifacations of running a loose belt. (Perhaps, it was the shredded belt. I'm not incline to take the chance.)

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
OP, I think a Gates 108" belt will fit good. Wont be as tight. The tensioner should have about 1/2" from hitting the stop. It should give a little.

If its to loose, when the motor is under a load, the tensioner will flex, if the belt isnt tight enough, the tensioner will flex all the way, and the belt will all of a sudden be loose, and it can either slip like a mofo (it will screech sometimes) or itll just toss the belt.

A Gates 108" belt, and a Dayco tensioner I think will solve the issue.

Pate, you should make a video. Just curious how you do it.

I bought a 3 bolt timing cover for when I do my motor build. Itll make doing belt installs 10x easier (dont have to remove the blower bracket at all) and more wrap on the tensioner

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
When I put a new belt on (and its really tight) and work the throttle from under the hood, the tensioner doesn't move at all. Now that my belt is oil soaked and has stretched it does.

When I put a belt on the last pulley is the smooth water pump pulley. It you can put the belt over a ribbed pulley then its too big.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts