Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday I was driving the **** out of my car...including doughnuts, powersliding followed by numerous highway pulls...on the way home, my p/s just cuts out. Today when I was driving it seems like it goes in and out. Seems to go out more when at idle and slow speeds but when I am at speed, it comes back on...any ideas? The only thing I have been able to check is the belt and it is still in tact and is still on the p/s pulley.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Pump is goin' out brother. When the engine is up in RPM's it works because it is able to pump enough fluid. At idle or low speed the pump is spinning too slowly to get the pressure up. Do you hear any moaning or groaning when it's trying to work? I would think that this would happen over time though. I've never seen one just go out all at once, well I guess yours is not all the way out if it works sometimes.

·
Registered
923 Posts
this is your car telling you it only wants to go in straight lines. lol

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
****, how much are p/s pumps? and why would it fail like this?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Did you check the fluid?
I assume you did but you didn't mention it. And if it is low on fluid, or was then that could cause your pump to go out.

Otherwise it does sound like the pump is going. Maybe go to a JY and pick one up?

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Don't know how much they cost but it's not that bad to change it out. Kinda a pain for an older guy like me lying on my back wrenching at it. It can get a little messy too with PS fluid dripping on your chest.

As far as why it went out,................let me see...............what did you say you were doing before it went out? Oh yeah, out having fun, doughnuts and powersliding. Doesn't that involve some kind of counter steering or something like that. Maybe pointing the wheels in the opposite direction (counter steering) than the car actually wants to go in, puts a little stress on your steering. Sudden back and forth steering movements can also put a little bit of stress on your steering system. Don't you need to use those rapid steering movements while you are sliding it around a turn in order to keep the back end out at a certain angle. I don't know, I've never done these things you speak of so I'm not sure if they could be a contributing factor in why it went out. Or it just could have been that time when the pump was meant to go to that junkyard in the sky and it was just coincidence that it went out right after you were doing these shenanigans.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As far as why it went out,................let me see...............what did you say you were doing before it went out? Oh yeah, out having fun, doughnuts and powersliding. Doesn't that involve some kind of counter steering or something like that. Maybe pointing the wheels in the opposite direction (counter steering) than the car actually wants to go in, puts a little stress on your steering. Sudden back and forth steering movements can also put a little bit of stress on your steering system. Don't you need to use those rapid steering movements while you are sliding it around a turn in order to keep the back end out at a certain angle. I don't know, I've never done these things you speak of so I'm not sure if they could be a contributing factor in why it went out. Or it just could have been that time when the pump was meant to go to that junkyard in the sky and it was just coincidence that it went out right after you were doing these shenanigans.
:D yessir

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
My car does the same thing every once in a blue moon. It doesn't make any noise though. At low speeds, less than 5 mph, it'll cut out for a split second or two than come right back on. Of course it's usually backing out of a parking lot. I'm not sure if it's because the car was just turned on or what. It's been doing it since the TVS went on but it's been fine since. It's possible it was just a coincidence that it happened after you did the donuts.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you check the fluid?
I assume you did but you didn't mention it. And if it is low on fluid, or was then that could cause your pump to go out.

Otherwise it does sound like the pump is going. Maybe go to a JY and pick one up?
The fluid level is fine but it is poop colored...i thought that **** was supposed to be redish..

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My car does the same thing every once in a blue moon. It doesn't make any noise though. At low speeds, less than 5 mph, it'll cut out for a split second or two than come right back on. Of course it's usually backing out of a parking lot. I'm not sure if it's because the car was just turned on or what. It's been doing it since the TVS went on but it's been fine since. It's possible it was just a coincidence that it happened after you did the donuts.
do you think the higher power levels of our blowers are causing the failures?

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
do you think the higher power levels of our blowers are causing the failures?
Honestly, I have no idea. My car has been doing this for almost a year though and it hasn't got any worse or broke. Does it make noise? How much? I know you said it was but I didn't know if you were just kidding. Mine doesn't make any noise when it does it.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mine only makes noise in the lower rpms, like when parking...it is struggling as suggested by 07boss...so ya, i think the pump is done...**** me

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
If it's making noise than it's probably on the way out. I'd see if it gets any worse and if it does than I'd order a pump. Besides you can drive without power steering anyways! :D

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The car has been pulling like a mother ****er lately...like maybe harder since the pump starting failing lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts