Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I deleted my mach 1 rear deck speakers this past Spring and tonight I decided to cut the wires out bc they looked like **** and I was getting a static sound from the trunk. I went to see if the static sound went away afterwards but my head unit was black...So I somehow lost power. Is it a ground or something? I dont understand why cutting them would matter...I am awful with wires!

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
If even one wire touched, itll short out. Check your fuse.

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok will do thanks!

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Even 1 strand of a wire, will cause it. I remember when I had my 2 step, running the cable through the firewall, a tiny piece was exposed because it chafed. Popped the fuse.

Just go over the wiring, make sure none are exposed. If so, shrink tube it, and throw some electrical tape over it.

I also unplug the battery anytime I do anything electrical

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Genius! Fuse popped lol I taped it off when I did it. I still have some static noise though..not sure why

Thanks again!

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Just trace all the wiring. Near and where you cut. Might have just popped when you cut it, they touched and shorted. Why I always unplug the battery doing any electrical bs

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah...I used a metal razor blade so Im guessing it popped when that all happened

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
I would get some shrink tube vs electrical tape. To cap the open ends off. Electrical tape looses its "stick" after some time.

Also, just for future reference, try staying away from **** like wire ties/quick connects etc.... Solder that ****!

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah I solder everything I can. Crimps dont work all to great sometimes

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Yeah, they work okay right then, but I dont trust them over time

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts