Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys I just bought my first stang today and im pretty excited about it... i bought it for $750 with a very good body and interior but a realllly loud knock from either the engine or the transmission. Its a 95 v6 automatic and I drove it about 4 miles back to my house with this knock and it sounds like either a rod knock or a transmission knock. I have watched videos of both and can't tell the difference between the two... now the reason I am thinking it is the trans and not the motor is when I would try to accelerate from a stop I had to almost floor the gas just to make the car start to move and it didnt seem like it wanted to go anywhere but after it started going i got it up to the speed limit. The knock gets louder as the car accelerates but is still pretty loud even at idle. What are the symptoms of both the rod knock and trans knock other than the obvious noise? I am most likely building a 351 cleveland I can get at a pretty good deal and go carburated but thats a long way down the road and if i could fix this car and drive it around in the meantime I would like to do that to. Any input is helpful thanks guys!

·
Registered
444 Posts
does the knock speed up as ur PRMs rise? not big on automatics but that would be your converter which isnt hard to replace. you dont really have any internal parts to knock in the tranny unless you have a counter gear that is broke but then it would be worse than you say. you wouldnt go ne where. sounds like your clutches are worn and the old owner drove it hard (cause it was slippping and now it has worn bearings causing the knock)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Have you maybe checked the oil? More than likely it's a rod and you have little to no oil in the car. I'm not trying to hate, but if you bought it for 750, there is more than likely something wrong with it. Before you move it anymore, I would check all of your fluids and do a full tune up on the car.

The most important thing to do when buying a used car is to do all scheduled maintenance asap. You don't know how the last owner took care of it, and you should be very cautious if you are hearing a knocking sound.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea i knew it had a serious problem when i bought it and thats why I got it for so cheap but like I said if it was something easy to fix I was going to just fix it just to make it a daily driver while I am in the process of building a new motor but if its serious then its not a big deal this was supposed to be a project car from the start would a rod knock cause that much loss of power? and i forgot to mention i have to really force the car to shift from park to drive etc. like a lot of force..which is why i am thinkin it might involve the trans

1 - 4 of 4 Posts