Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
MM's Orangest
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I did a little driving last night and I got home and realized that my car had a horrible sound from up front. I could hear it over my exhaust and I thought it might have been my heater/defrost so I turned it off and it was still going. It was late and I didn't want to keep anyone awake in the neighborhood so I shut it down to wait until this morning.

It got cold enough to freeze last night so there was a little bit of ice around the shaker that was starting to melt. I turned on the car and the noise was still there. When I opened the hood, I noticed a little bit of water drip from the hood and it landed on the belt. The noise stopped for a minute and then resumed. So, I put a little more on and it stopped and started again. So I think I have it narrowed down to the belt but what can I do quiet that SOB down? I've checked the pulleys and they seem to be on there tight. Opinions?

·
MM's Orangest
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A loud, consistent whine. I'd put a video up but I don't have an adapter here at home for my camera it's back at school.

·
MM's Orangest
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The best thing I could compare it to would be a car running in cold weather with that kind of a whine, but usually that goes away after it heats up. And this is the first time my car has done this and it's been ran in a lot colder temperatures than this, this year.

·
MM's Orangest
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dad just stopped by on his lunch break and put some lubricating oil on the belt and it kept it quiet for about a minute and then it started back up again.

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
Hit it with a bar of soap....old timers trick. But Id just replace the belt, and check the pullies.

·
Boost gets you laid
2,625 Posts
my car was doing something similar, it wasn't the belt though it was the idler pulley bearing. it was loud and annoying so i took the idler off and greased up the bearing and now its quiet again.

·
MM's Orangest
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The belt just needed lubed. I went to go grab a birthday card for my dad and the sound was gone. I haven't done anything since the oil so I guess it just needed time to soak in.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
ive had the same noise on several cars i would spray it with a lil belt grease...and the noise always came back...it was always the tensioner pulley that was going bad on me...just my .02

·
MM's Orangest
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's back. I tried adding some tension because I was told that would eliminate the sound if it was the tension pulley. It didn't. So I'm going to try out a new belt and see if that doesn't do the job.

·
MM's Orangest
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Twas the belt. It's running all chipper now. And then the rain started...

·
MM's Orangest
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't care if anyone told me so :). I was looking to do the cheapest repair possible first and then work my way up.

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,556 Posts
LOL! I feel ya. It's called the process of elinination you start at the cheapest part and work your way until you fix it. Glad that you gotter done.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
The idler pulley, or AC try running the A/C and see if it makes a diff. I threw a pulley at about 80k and don't live where it snows. Belt ran for 100k

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
The idler pulley, or AC try running the A/C and see if it makes a diff. I threw a pulley at about 80k and don't live where it snows. Belt ran for 100k

You missed post #13 WP. :D He fixed it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts