Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
StangGang
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new here. I have a 1999 Mustang gt. I have owned it for a while and it is a car that I am never planning to sell. It is a 5-speed and I am getting a loud "clank" noise whenever I am engaging the clutch(not everytime). I would describe the noise as metal on metal and it only lasts half a second. It has started to happen more frequently. It almost always occurs in first in reverse and then I am usually good. It also happens in fifth gear if I am not pressing on the gas, the car starts to stutter and the clanking happens. It sounds like it is coming right under the shifter maybe near where the motor and tranny meet...I would call it a pop but I am sure it is not a suspension problem but rather a clutch/shifter/or tranny problem...Any ideas guys? A video will be uploaded tomorrow. For right now I am going to setup my profile:getmoney:

·
ASE Master Tech
149 Posts
As a person who has gone through 8 trannys....it's in your tranny. :)

·
StangGang
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Click on the link and you will hear the sound. It happens when I start to roll. The seconds I hear it are 17 21 27 32 38 41 48. It sounds like a pop in the video but it is more like a snap that makes you want to :70:

·
ASE Master Tech
149 Posts
That's a good video. Definitely a different noise than what i've heard. check your driveshaft bolts, u joints, and trans mount. make sure they are tight and nothings broken.

·
StangGang
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay...I will do this tomorrow. Please check back with me because as of right now I am pretty clueless. Whenever I get on it after letting off of it in 5th gear how cars sometimes "jump" in rpm's it makes the noise each time it jerks. Hope you know what I'm talking about

·
StangGang
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
School has been keeping me strapped down but I installed the IAC and the Idle is perfect again :bowrofl: As far as the popping I haven't gotten a chance to really diagnose it. My brother who is a mechanic drove the car and he immediately said U joints. Went ahead and bought a couple and will be replacing them this weekend. Updates will come asap
EDIT: May not get U joints till monday but we will see.
Until then I am replacing Diff Oil. Just going with walmarts supertech 75w 145 synthetic.

·
ASE Master Tech
149 Posts
Sounds good. While your changing the diff oil you should be able to slide under and confirm that it's your u joints.

·
StangGang
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Replaced tranny mount and noise is still there BUT if I push the car back and forth while in gear it makes the pop. The sound is coming from an are very close the the differential. It is very loud but hard to pinpoint the exact spot. I did not see anything too bad other than there is a rubber deal right behind the differential that was moving quite a bit. I really think it is right behind the diff. Maybe right where the driveshaft goes. U-joints did't look bad or move weird while pushing. Suggestions?

·
ASE Master Tech
149 Posts
look really good at all the bushings for the control arms for the rear end. I would also put a wrench on them just to make sure they are tight.

·
StangGang
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will do. Hey I appreciate the help man, I'd be lost without it. U-joints are on their way, so those will be put on and tranny fluid will be replaced. Will also check those bushings too. Hopefully it is one of those. anything to check when the driveshaft is out?

·
ASE Master Tech
149 Posts
Nothing that really comes to mind. Just keep checking in, we'll find this problem.

·
StangGang
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update: May have found the problem! Just got under the car with the front jacked up, slid to the rear bolts on the driveshaft and they are very loose. Jacking up the rear now to tighten bolts. Will drive it around and see if this was the problem. Will update within an hour

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
hm mine does the same thing, is your car lowered ? the sway bar on my car was hitting my exhaust on the passenger side rear, i ziptied a piece of rubber hose to the sway bar and im pretty sure that cured my car but i havnt been able to drive it since last fall so cant remeber if there was still a noise. Im pretty sure that was the issue ,if its hitting you will see a rub mark on the exhaust near the sway bar

·
StangGang
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got the problem fixed! It was the driveshaft bolts. One was barely snug and one was loose. Tightened those two and no problems now. Thanks Smokeybear001, If you need help on anything I owe you a big one:foshizzle:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts