Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where I can get some pistons for my 89 lx that has a 10.1 or even 11.1 ratio?

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
11:1 is high compression for a mustang...

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh ok well Does anyone know where I can get some pistons within the range of 10.1 - 12.1?

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I dont think anyone makes one thats very high. 0decking, milling heads, and thinner head gaskets will help tho.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
really your only talking about 20hp at the most and a bunch of gas head aches

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
A piston by itself doesn't have a compression ratio

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Gas headaches are no problem, this will be going into a street/bracket car.

My main thing for the 460 is some JE Pistons, scat crank and rods, Hooker fenderwell exit headers, already have a cam, and plan on stomping some ass all over the place here in a couple months when it warms up. Looking for the ratio around 10.1-11.5 or even 12.1 because I plan on serious advanced timing and n/a so just curious if there's any out there. I work mostly on small blocks and have made serious power from them being carb'd so this seriously is the first big block by Ford I've ever owned.

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hell as a matter of fact, on the 89 lx heads, how good will it do if I to a good port job on them? Or maybe find some gt-40x or p or just gt40 heads and port them to hell on the exhaust side and ever so slightly on the intake side (I don't want to load up at a light)

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
Gas headaches are no problem, this will be going into a street/bracket car.

My main thing for the 460 is some JE Pistons, scat crank and rods, Hooker fenderwell exit headers, already have a cam, and plan on stomping some ass all over the place here in a couple months when it warms up. Looking for the ratio around 10.1-11.5 or even 12.1 because I plan on serious advanced timing and n/a so just curious if there's any out there. I work mostly on small blocks and have made serious power from them being carb'd so this seriously is the first big block by Ford I've ever owned.
You don't "seriously advance timing" with high compression. You need to focus on the entire combination, not just compression. How much horsepower do you want to make? What heads are you going to use?

Hell as a matter of fact, on the 89 lx heads, how good will it do if I to a good port job on them? Or maybe find some gt-40x or p or just gt40 heads and port them to hell on the exhaust side and ever so slightly on the intake side (I don't want to load up at a light)
This doesn't make any sense to me. You are talking about building a 460 and now you are talking about using the stock 89LX heads on it????

Loading up at a light has nothing to do with porting or heads.

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^ well was more of a second hand question because I can go cheaper spending by boring my current 5.0 heads and block. Maybe the block .30 or .40 over and some JE Pistions or Keith Black pistons. So Ignore the 460, that's on the back burner. My current block(5.0) is what I'd like to start with. I plan to use my current heads and want to port them out on the exhaust side, and slightly port them on the intake side. I have harland sharps for the heads as well along wit hthe studs and everything. The block I'd like to go .40 over and If you look on the thread "Cams", you will see the cam I am getting. Staying Fuel Injection, have a 70mm TB from summit. Pushing for 400hp n/a. Oh and I also have some 24lb jectors a friend will give me once I get the build under way.

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
^ well was more of a second hand question because I can go cheaper spending by boring my current 5.0 heads and block. Maybe the block .30 or .40 over and some JE Pistions or Keith Black pistons. So Ignore the 460, that's on the back burner. My current block(5.0) is what I'd like to start with. I plan to use my current heads and want to port them out on the exhaust side, and slightly port them on the intake side. I have harland sharps for the heads as well along wit hthe studs and everything. The block I'd like to go .40 over and If you look on the thread "Cams", you will see the cam I am getting. Staying Fuel Injection, have a 70mm TB from summit. Pushing for 400hp n/a. Oh and I also have some 24lb jectors a friend will give me once I get the build under way.
You are not going to make 400hp with the stock heads. You will not need to bore the block unless there is something wrong with the rotating assembly. You will need a good set of heads, cam, intake and other supporting parts like rocker arms, pushrods, etc. Be ready to spend a few thousand dollars.

·
MM's Mad Scientist
5,101 Posts
I know your asking me.. but to me, anything above 13.5:1 is starting to get high.

Thats just me though.
I was talking street-wise..... Anyway, just saying that 11:1 is on the high side for a street car. It's plenty doable, but I wouldn't classify a 10:1+ street motor as low comp.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I was talking street-wise..... Anyway, just saying that 11:1 is on the high side for a street car. It's plenty doable, but I wouldn't classify a 10:1+ street motor as low comp.
I was talking street wise too ;)

Maybe 13.5:1 is slighty exaggerating it a bit. Realistically, 12:1 would be high for a street engine. Anything under that is a matter of opinion, and whatever the owner wants to deal with.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Can you even run pump gas at 11-1 ? I always thought 10-1 was about max for 93 octane.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts