Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its weird its pretty low. And im not seeing any leaks. Im just going to top it off i guess. But what would you guys recommend for this florida heat? What kind do our cars take?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
anti-freeze is just added to water for the obviously stated purpose in it name, to prevent the water from freezing. you could fill your reservoir with water if the weather is always warm. if i were you id get some prestone anti-freeze. dont get the 50/50 cause its a rip-off. get the pure coolant with no water added yet and mix it yourself. flush the system while your at it. flushing entails pulling the small plastic petcock off of the bottom of the rad and opening the drainage plugs on the block. honestly you dont even need to undo the plugs on the block. with the petcock off just let it drain while simultaneously filling the reservoir with clean water. you can just run a hose to the fill cap. run the car while your doing this. flush until your see only clean clear water coming out. once the system is clean add your anti-freeze/water mixture. fill the reservoir to the fill line, start the car and let it run for a minutes with the cap off of the reservoir. check the level and add as needed.

to check for leaks you can use a black light. the bright yellow/green color of the prestone is pretty easy to spot. check carefully around the intake manifold. they are pretty susceptible to leaking on our cars.

Reactions: gray8188

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alrite thanks man.. Reps.. But were are the drain plugs on the block? and could i get away with just adding some coolant mixed with water for now? I just dont really have the time until next week and i have to drive my car until then..

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Alrite thanks man.. Reps.. But were are the drain plugs on the block? and could i get away with just adding some coolant mixed with water for now? I just dont really have the time until next week and i have to drive my car until then..
no problem. flush is easy to do, but ya. you can add if you want. use the black light and see if you find anything.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no problem. flush is easy to do, but ya. you can add if you want. use the black light and see if you find anything.
Alrite cool man, and yea i will flush it soon i just dont have the time this weekend lol.. But what kind should i get to just top it off? The 50/50 would be easier wouldnt it just so i could pour it in and not have to worry about mixing it with water? And there isnt a specific type i should use is there? Sorry for all the questions ive never really kept a car long enough to have to worry about the cooling system.. lol

·
Procrastinator
4,558 Posts
you should be fine just adding water. You said you lived in florida? Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it freezing. You cant really run straight water, but you shouldn't need 50/50 just to top it off. When I did my water pump, I let the coolant just empty out from the pump onto my driveway, then filled from the hose. Just top it off with clean water and you will be fine.

·
Procrastinator
4,558 Posts
oh if you are going to flush it out and whatnot, when you fill it, you can just dump one thing of 100% antifreeze in, then fill the rest with water. A month or so back when I drained/flushed/whatever my car, I wasn't sure how much it would take and it turned out to only need one jug of antifreeze when mixing 50/50.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its pretty low now.. But i can just fill it up with regular hose water? Would the 50/50 be better?

·
Procrastinator
4,558 Posts
Well you can fill it with water and be fine for now. the antifreeze has **** in it to prevent bacteria build up and corrosion and whatnot. You are probably unlikely to run into problems with it freezing in florida so you will be ok with straight water for now. I went about a year after doing my pump (winter included) and then flushed it out and it was a little dirty, but not bad.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yea it will be at most a couple weeks until i get around to it.. Hopefully only a week..

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alrite cool thanks man.. Reps given..

·
Registered
127 Posts
Antifreeze is toxic to animals so be careful just dumping it on the ground. If you are losing coolant, a leaking heater core can be hard to find till enough gets in the carpet to smell. Just water should be ok to add for a week or 2. a mixture will cool better. Just find out where it is going so you don't get stranded somewhere.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Antifreeze is toxic to animals so be careful just dumping it on the ground. If you are losing coolant, a leaking heater core can be hard to find till enough gets in the carpet to smell. Just water should be ok to add for a week or 2. a mixture will cool better. Just find out where it is going so you don't get stranded somewhere.
Yea i topped it off with some water not long ago.. And im thinking my intake mani may be the culprit.. So maybe a p-51 in the next couple months here i come.. And dont worry i take all my coolant to the zoo and feed it to baby deers..:D

·
Registered
648 Posts
I had a buddy with the p-51 intake. Made his car lose insane ammounts of power. i wouldnt do it unless your going F/I

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had a buddy with the p-51 intake. Made his car lose insane ammounts of power. i wouldnt do it unless your going F/I
I am eventually.. But im going to be spraying in the mean time so it shouldnt really hurt me..

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Antifreeze is toxic to animals so be careful just dumping it on the ground.
i like to put it in a can of tuna out in the front yard and let the raccoons who normally tear into my trash eat it and die a slow and painful death.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.