Modded Mustang Forums banner

Lower control arm install

14K views 47 replies 15 participants last post by  Bash617 
#1 ·
Hey guys I just bought some j&m lower control arms from American muscle to hopefully help out with wheel hop and traction a bit. I am going to be installing them myself and hear its a pretty easy job but does anyone have a link to an install for 99-04? The guides I keep seeing are for 05up and it is a much different install. Any pointers also?? Thanks!

#28 ·
Well the bushings seem to have 2 ends and a spherical piece and the silver piece that goes through it, I assumed the spherical piece goes in the middle but it seems tough to get it in, maybe when I grease it it will just slide in?

#30 ·
do i need to use a press to put them in or will i be able to do it by hand when there is grease because it will be more slippery?

#32 ·
So I put the lower control arms today and what a pain it was to get the rear bolt lined up. I took it for a test run and the rear end feels tighter but when I dumped the clutch in first gear there was still a **** ton of wheel hop so I feel disappointed I spent all day on it

#34 ·
They arent bad they are Pirelli p6 with a good amount a thread left, I thought I read that tires don't effect wheel hop as much as actual traction

#35 ·
One thing I noticed with installing was that no matter how much I tried to get all of the trapped air out from 3 sides of the control arms I couldn't get all the air out but I got most out. This made it a little harder to line them up to mount in the car obviously but I got them I'm and torqued them down and when I torqued them obviously they closed up and they are tight now but you dont think that makes a difference right? Everything is nice and tight since its in and the bushings are tight together because they are torqued tight

#37 ·
On the j&m bushings there is some when making the bushings flush it says in the directions, I don't think it makes a difference ones I crank the bolts toght

#40 ·
Can over tightening the bolts make a difference ? I didn't have a torque wrench so I just used a regular wrench and torqued the bolts pretty tight so they don't come loose, I did this with it jacked up in the air if that makes a difference

#42 ·
So in conclusion I hate these control arms, the wheel hop is exactly the same and they make so much noise too, I'm putting stock back on

#43 ·
I'm going to try and get the air out of the bushings and see if it helps but I want to re grease them but I'm out of grease that came with them. What is a good alternative I can get at an autoparts store??

#44 ·
Hey sorry about bringing this back again but I'm going to tackle this install for a friend this weekend on his 02. I had two jack stands on the axle last time just like you do in the photo. The problem was that when i lowered the control arm with the jack and removed the spring, the axle shifted upwards on the side I was working on because the spring was no longer there to hold it down. It became a pain where I ended up having to remove the shocks and get everything lined up again with a friend. What did I do wrong?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.