Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 5.0 with a balanced stroker kit. It has AFR 185 heads, long tube headers, BBK SSI intake and multiple other performance parts. For some reason I am only getting about 300hp at the wheels. For everything that went into this engine, that seems a little weak to me.
Any suggestions on what might be choking this motor down ? I am starting to question the BBK intake. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
BBK intake is part of the problem, what cam do you have? What about injectors, MAF, and any kind of tune? Where's the timing at if you're on a stock tune? Is the cam degreed, is your valvetrain geometry set up right? How many cubes do you have? There's a ton of things it could be. List everything you know about the engine and what you've done so far.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Did you get it dyno, how do you know its getting 300 hp to the rear wheels ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Details

It has been a while since the build so I may be a little sketchy on details.
Here is what I remember -
I believe it is a 331 stroker with something like 10:1 ratio, Eagle forged rods
Ford E303 cam with 1.6 roller rockers
Underdrive pulleys
electronic fan
255 LPH fuel pump
24lb/hr injectors
C&L 76mm Mass Air
BBK 70mm t. b.
K&N Filter
MSD 6A box with MSD coil and distributor
BBK 1 3/4" long tubes with H-Pipe
Dyno Tune with custom program

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Were you running out of fuel with the 24lb injectors ?

Ive heard that the C&L maffs and the ford motor sport cams suck big time, Ive never used either one but like ive said ive read it over and over again. And like already stated im sure that bbk intake isnt helping either.

Im willing to bet that since the E303 cam was designed for a 302 over 20 years ago that its not a good choice for a 331.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It has been a while since the build so I may be a little sketchy on details.
Here is what I remember -
I believe it is a 331 stroker with something like 10:1 ratio, Eagle forged rods
Ford E303 cam with 1.6 roller rockers
Underdrive pulleys
electronic fan
255 LPH fuel pump
24lb/hr injectors
C&L 76mm Mass Air
BBK 70mm t. b.
K&N Filter
MSD 6A box with MSD coil and distributor
BBK 1 3/4" long tubes with H-Pipe
Dyno Tune with custom program

·
Registered
11,200 Posts

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
intakes garbage cams garbage heads are meh get a decent intake and a good cam and itll prob make 350ish whp

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
^ yep, that cam and that intake are killing you. Especially if the cam isn't degreed and the valvetrain isn't adjusted. You've got some good heads, and you have more than stock cubes and you're making GT-40 302 power. Good cam with a good intake and everything installed properly and you'll have a different car on your hands.

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
if it was my car and I didnt wana go crazy on the wallet, systemax, custom cam for 6500ish shifts and run it, someone will be dumb enough to buy that ssi

·
Registered
609 Posts
cam and intake killing you..im making that with stock cubes.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
To this day im still amazed at how many people are making 302 power with there strokers. You have to think bigger in terms of parts. That e cam is barely adequte for a 302 build and the intake is pure junk along with the tiny MAF.

Custom cam, Holley intake, 80mm or bigger MAF, bigger injectors and a good tune and you should see 400 at the wheels.

My buddy paul put down 350+ with a set of 165s and a cam ground for his 302 on a 9:1 comp 331. He has since moved to some race prepped 185s and now puts down 415 with the same low compression.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you to all who posted suggestions. It is usefull information and has been enlightening to say the least !

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
To this day im still amazed at how many people are making 302 power with there strokers. You have to think bigger in terms of parts. That e cam is barely adequte for a 302 build and the intake is pure junk along with the tiny MAF.

Custom cam, Holley intake, 80mm or bigger MAF, bigger injectors and a good tune and you should see 400 at the wheels.

My buddy paul put down 350+ with a set of 165s and a cam ground for his 302 on a 9:1 comp 331. He has since moved to some race prepped 185s and now puts down 415 with the same low compression.

YouTube - Paul Riva's 1995 Mustang GT 'vert's NA 331ci combo on the dyno and street
Thats nice... Its almost the same set up i have going into my car. I have the dart 331 with afr 185 heads sitting in my garage. I just need a better intake, and the 30lb injectors with matching mass air meter. http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/5-0-mustangs/203897-331-stroker.html

·
Registered
118 Posts
i got stock heads, rpm air gap intake, 750 holley, ecam, msd, shortys, and under drives and i put down 300 at the wheels on a mustang dyno

1 - 20 of 63 Posts